how much should a stock 350 put out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjohn07

Master Mechanic
May 9, 2010
new here, im 20 been workin on fords for the last 4yrs. but i dont have much exp with sbc. just got my first one and so far its not that diff from ford. just the dist. anyway. i want to get 280 out of this 350. is it fairly simple. the simple im talkin about is a cam swap, stock heads with a pocket port, and changing the intake with a bigger carb. i dont want to spend to much money thats why im leaning towards stock ported heads and not aluminum. but i want to know if 280 if overshooting it with stock heads so i dont go and spend cash porting them and just save it for aluminum

well your basic stock 350 will probly make anywere from 230-250hp. Thats an educated guess I could be completely wrong. If all your shootin for is 280hp then I would recomend a better intake manifold (performer RPM or something better) 750cfm carb (I would go with a holley) a comp cams XE268h and if you heart desires go ahead and port the cylinder heads and if you can do the work yourself (to save money of course) you could always step up to a 2.02" intake and a 1.55" or a 1.6" exhaust valve. If you are bored you could always go dig in the wreckin yard and try and find a set of vortec heads. Put a 2.02" intake and 1.55" exhaust valve in, do a valve grind no real need for port work and since you lookin to buy a different mainfold anyways just buy one for the vortec heads.

note: the vortec heads take a different manifold do to the bolt angle and location if you didnt already know.

hope that helps

yeah that info helps. knowing the 350 puts out that much im sure i can achieve 300 easily.

It depends on the stock 350. The 350was first introduced as an exclusive engine for the then-new 1967 Camaro, and spread throughout the range the following year. The stock horsepower rating of a GEN I SBC ranged from 145 in the 1976 2 bbl guise, to 370hp in the 1970 LT-1 Corvette. Compression ratios have ranged from a low of 7.8:1 to a high of 11:1, and heads vary wildly in what they flow. This is also true of the Ford Windsor series as well ( It was first offered in the 1962 Fairlane as a 221 ci V8), but most people are only really used to seeing the 5.0 Mustang engines of the 80's and 90's. So, what does all this mean? It means that the power you can expect depends on the engine you are starting with. We are talking about an engine that was installed stock in various cars and trucks from 1967 to 2000 or so, so there is no generic stock 350 we can reference.

thanks for the corrected info. i guess when i pull the heads i can measure the bore and when i take the heads to the machine shop im sure they can tell me more less what kinda power it was making that way i know what i started at. a 350 is a 350 so i assume the engines power ranged mainly because of the h/c/i that were used.

While you are looking at the used parts yard, keep an eye out for this casting 14101083. It has 64cc chambers,1.94/1.5 valves,and center bolt valve covers. It came on some of the last carbureted 350s, mostly in police cars and pickup trucks. If you can, grab the intake too. It will be for a q-jet, but it will have the correct intake center bolt angle (72 deg). I found it to be a nice "stock" head.

i am trying to stay away from center bolts only because of the valve cover options, and the adapters to use reg valve covers arent cheap. my freind told me these heads are off a corvette and should have 2.02 1.60 valves. im hoping so. but if not i know my uncle has some 2.02 1.60 ported heads at his shop and he said i can take em if i needed them. i plan on pulling the heads in a couple weeks to find out.

on ebay you can get a nice set of fabricated center bolt valve covers for about $70-$80. Anyway, i got vortec heads on my mostly stock sbc (aluminum intake and edelbrock carb). How much do you think that puts out?

A friend from another race shop just dyno'd a new sealed circle track 602 crate which is a basic 350 low end with iron vortec heads and the cam is pretty mild. With headers and a 4 barrel carb it registered over 380 hp.

my 91 350 out of a 3/4 ton gmc made around 275 with only $200 of head work done. every thing else was completely stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor