• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
I'm fully a self admitted hack but rattle canning a car isn't something I'd ever do. I get it's short term but ehhhhh.......

I get the desire to do it cheap and fast but the cost of a single stage enamel or whatever canned paint is the same or less than rattle can, and you can actually get some hardener and durability out of it.

I don't think these guys ship North of the 49th but we did Dad's 89 f350 with Kirker single stage in 2008/9 with nothing more than a 220 grit buzz on the OEM faded paint. I think besides some sap and typical environmental dirt it still looks good and sits outside year round, no cracks or flaking. I'm sure someone in kanukistan sells something similar.

Also did Dad's IH pickup and my cutlass with Kirker stuff adding the $30 base coat converter and clear and it's held up well.

Reactions: 4 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Straight up, I thought this was another flex fan, choke cable thread when I clicked on it. Spray cans don't go too far. I'm guessing three cans per large panel for decent coverage. I'd leave it like it is before I spray painted it, but it's your deal so go with it.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
I spray painted an entire car. Granted it was a Chevette, and in 1990, really didn't look too bad but as others have said, you will see streaks. I would not paint it with a quart of Rustoleum though. That will clog sand paper insanely quick when you go to do bodywork later.

• Agree

Tuffregal83

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2016
Lockport, Il
I did my winter truck 2 years ago and redid it before winter this year. Sad thing I've owned it since new in 02. Took 12 cans
20190510_160143.jpg
20190510_160205.jpg
20190511_171930.jpg
20190511_171948.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 7 users

08Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Feb 9, 2014
North Jersey
When we fill aerosols at the store they hold 4 ounces of ready to spray material. Your 10 cans might do it.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm fully a self admitted hack but rattle canning a car isn't something I'd ever do. I get it's short term but ehhhhh.......

I get the desire to do it cheap and fast but the cost of a single stage enamel or whatever canned paint is the same or less than rattle can, and you can actually get some hardener and durability out of it.

I don't think these guys ship North of the 49th but we did Dad's 89 f350 with Kirker single stage in 2008/9 with nothing more than a 220 grit buzz on the OEM faded paint. I think besides some sap and typical environmental dirt it still looks good and sits outside year round, no cracks or flaking. I'm sure someone in kanukistan sells something similar.

Also did Dad's IH pickup and my cutlass with Kirker stuff adding the $30 base coat converter and clear and it's held up well.

Prices are getting out of control up here. These spray cans haven't been adjusted in a system yet, so even with the @ss-pain it may be cheaper than a discount gallon. I have all the means to spray things "properly", and would prefer it.

I did my winter truck 2 years ago and redid it before winter this year. Sad thing I've owned it since new in 02. Took 12 cans
View attachment 195285 View attachment 195286 View attachment 195287 View attachment 195288

Thank you for the real-world first-hand experience. That looks like the result I desire.

When we fill aerosols at the store they hold 4 ounces of ready to spray material. Your 10 cans might do it.

Awesome, thanks!

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I spray painted an entire car. Granted it was a Chevette, and in 1990, really didn't look too bad but as others have said, you will see streaks. I would not paint it with a quart of Rustoleum though. That will clog sand paper insanely quick when you go to do bodywork later.
I don't think spray painting a whole car counts if it's a Chevette!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I think it took me around 10-12 of the 12 oz. cans to spray everything on my Regal except for the fenders which we already black.
I went from 6 colors to 1 and even though it is temporary I am happy enough with the results and enjoy driving it.

20170617_201737-1_resized.jpg

IMG_20200501_195709951_HDR (1).jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 10 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
I'm waiting for the can count. I believe I picked the winner in the poll.

I know Mike only from this forum, but my observations are that he's gonna do what he wants. I don't think there are enough coffee beans in Columbia to fill his coffee can of guilt - even if you recruited Juan Valdez to do the bean pickin'.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I'm waiting for the can count. I believe I picked the winner in the poll.

I know Mike only from this forum, but my observations are that he's gonna do what he wants. I don't think there are enough coffee beans in Columbia to fill his coffee can of guilt - even if you recruited Juan Valdez to do the bean pickin'.

Hey, it's not beneath me to modify a plan.

I am hoping to hit a few local auto body supply shops to see if they have a gallon of discount single stage semi-gloss black for a good deal. I know that's what's more right. I can always return the individual cans if need be.

But, if not - it isn't the end of the world to spray bomb a few panels for the season.

I will say that the gummyness? gumminess? ...horrible nature of the factory lacquer is frustrating to deal with. So I absolutely want to eliminate it from my life.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor