how to choose a torque converter

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
so im thinking my TC is out it.. i dont think its the right one for my set up it sounds like is grinding and doest take off like it should especialy with the posi rear end.. so im thinking of geting a newe TC but dont know how to go about buying one i need it for my set up now and the setup i will have in a couple months right now i have a 305 700r-4 with 373 gears and in the future will just swap out the 305 for a mild 350 and suggestions on what to buy that works well with out breaking the bank???

GhettoRacingKid

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2010
there are alot of factors you need to consider with a torue converter. power, rpm power band useage... etc...

If your going with a mild 350 you should be able to use a 2400 - 2600 stall. B&M makes one for about $160 for a TH350. should be around the same for a 700r4

its good and holds up. ive been using it for about 2 years now. but also see what the cam recommends. thats where alot of it has to do with

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
GhettoRacingKid said:
there are alot of factors you need to consider with a torue converter. power, rpm power band useage... etc...

If your going with a mild 350 you should be able to use a 2400 - 2600 stall. B&M makes one for about $160 for a TH350. should be around the same for a 700r4

its good and holds up. ive been using it for about 2 years now. but also see what the cam recommends. thats where alot of it has to do with

im thinking of going with one of the edelbrock cams the mild one with the lifter change

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
For your needs, I'd just get a factory D5 converter. There's always someone who has one and is willing to part with it for cheap. They'd stall somewhere between 2200-2300 or so, which is all you really need on a driver. When you start getting into higher stalls ( about 2500+ ), you really are much better off with a high quality unit. They cost more of course but are noticaebly better than the el cheapos like B&M and TCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor