How To: Fix Loose Tilt Steering Column PIC HEAVY **NOW WITH VIDEO**

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
nice write-up Hutch! I know there's alot of guys out there that need to do this, that have no idea how to even start. I've done this a couple of times, and this was a refresher, as I'll be tackling the Chief's column this winter. be sure to do a write up on the lower bushing to bearing mod, I didn't know about this one, but with 4 G-bodies, it'll come in handy to know!

I think the only thing that would make this thread better, would be making it a sticky! Admin? mods? :unsure:

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
If you need any GM parts for your steery column, I'll just leave this here to aid:

Example- For Hutch's steery column, he would need part listed in Column #9 since he has D55, CD4, and N33.

1987 Olds steering column applications.jpg

1987 Olds steering column parts.jpg

• Winner
  • Informative
Reactions: 4 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
stickified! Much thanks bc I really need to do this to the Cutlass. This is going in the facebook share rotation, too.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Hutch,
This has got to be the most detailed and comprehensive article regarding tilt column repair that I've ever seen. Thank you very much for taking the time to compile the information and post it. I've already done mine several years back, but would've appreciated coming across one as well written and detailed as your write up.
I'm certain this will benefit many members when the time comes to go thru this procedure..

I'm glad that you guys (and Chris) suggested having this write up sticky-ed. (y) (y) (y)
Thanks again for your wonderful contribution.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Thanks again for your wonderful contribution.

Thank you for the kind words. It means a great deal coming from the members on here.

I kind of did it out my own want for a close up shot of the steps. All the ones out there revolve around the column in the car (naturally) so the views are hindered by the lack of space available to shoot. I'm tearing it all the way down again and filming it this time for the same reasons. The second should go better than the first :roll:

Hutch

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Great Post.

Thanks.

I LOVE your Red Sled rendering. It reminds me of those CARtoons magazines I got when I was much younger. How they over exaggerated some of the proportions to give the car a wild look. It really brings me back.
1988-02.jpg

Hutch

Daca214

G-Body Guru
Dec 1, 2017
Jupiter, FL
Wow. What timing!!! My dad and I were tackling a bunch of minor things today and i showed him how loose my column was. We got lazy and i didnt feel like starting it today. Then i come on here and see this awesome write up and im glad i didnt. I had no idea it was so involved.

But now with this tutorial it will be an easy job to tackle.

Thanks again!!!

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor