How To: Fix Loose Tilt Steering Column PIC HEAVY **NOW WITH VIDEO**

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Wow. What timing!!! My dad and I were tackling a bunch of minor things today and i showed him how loose my column was. We got lazy and i didnt feel like starting it today. Then i come on here and see this awesome write up and im glad i didnt. I had no idea it was so involved.

But now with this tutorial it will be an easy job to tackle.

Thanks again!!!

Thank you sir. I'm glad to hear that. Get after it, one of my bolts had NO thread engagement at all and two others were half out themselves. I guess GM dropped the ball there with no additive to lock those bolts in place.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Thanks.

I LOVE your Red Sled rendering. It reminds me of those CARtoons magazines I got when I was much younger.
View attachment 124617

Hutch

that was one of the last issues I was able to find, think I still have a few issues dating back to 86, even though it was in publication for a loooong time (mid 60's IIRC). I think trosley still does some summit or holley ads, along with some included in the "adult" section magazines...

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Hutch, I forgot to add the other day. I'm in the statistic of anger and crying from the "other" brand pin removal tool! Had one snap clean off inside the pin. Then had to weld a bolt to it and get it pull out! Absofrigginlutely sucked!!!!

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
Hutch, I forgot to add the other day. I'm in the statistic of anger and crying from the "other" brand pin removal tool! Had one snap clean off inside the pin. Then had to weld a bolt to it and get it pull out! Absofrigginlutely sucked!!!!

That's what I kept hearing about that tool online. Sorry that happened to ya. That just sucks.

It reminds me of my first car (1970 Nova SS). I was replacing the rear shocks and one of the bolts broke. After getting the shock off, I drilled out the bolt that was frozen in there and got to drilling and tapping new threads. THE TAP BROKE OFF IN THE HOLE!! I was 17. I went inside and had a sad moment in my room alone. I felt so defeated.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 user

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That's what I kept hearing about that tool online. Sorry that happened to ya. That just sucks.

It reminds me of my first car (1970 Nova SS). I was replacing the rear shocks and one of the bolts broke. After getting the shock off, I drilled out the bolt that was frozen in there and got to drilling and tapping new threads. THE TAP BROKE OFF IN THE HOLE!! I was 17. I went inside and had a sad moment in my room alone. I felt so defeated.

Hutch
Yep! I'll definitely put the Lisle one on my to-get list. Come to think about it, I've had two of them tools break. The other time was at the junkyard getting a replacement pivot pin to swap out from the jacked up one. I still have the 3rd tool and used it several times with no issues, but won't use it again that's for sure.

• Agree

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yep! I'll definitely put the Lisle one on my to-get list. Come to think about it, I've had two of them tools break. The other time was at the junkyard getting a replacement pivot pin to swap out from the jacked up one. I still have the 3rd tool and used it several times with no issues, but won't use it again that's for sure.
$6.21 shipped free with prime from Amazon. Lisle 19940 pivot pin remover tool.

• Winner
Reactions: 2 users

paul.m

Master Mechanic
Oct 20, 2018
Man thats a great article and great pics , best one i have seen ! I think most of us never really go further than pulling the wheel and maybe replace the turn signal switch .

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO

Sundancer

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2015
Long Island, NY
This is an amazing post, I just hope I never have to do such a job !

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor