How to inspect posi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sounds like a good unit. I wouldn't want that ratio, but at least the carrier is correct down to , what, 3:23 I think?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Bonnewagon said:
Sounds like a good unit. I wouldn't want that ratio, but at least the carrier is correct down to , what, 3:23 I think?

yes you're right, 2 series start with 3.08

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
ya ill likely put it in as is to have some fun with it and see how it is. My gut is telling me the highway downside will irk but but who knows if somebody down the line might want to trade me or i could just buy a new ring gear and pinion

Another question I had was how strong are these 7.5's after some money has been dumped into it, as the case with mine that I picked up. I always heard save the money and find a 8.5 but in my case I got the work already done inside the rear with expensive items at a cheap price. Am i just lucky?

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Well, as always, fit the punishment to the crime. A 7.5 is good for what it is, a low performance rear, and those crazy gears will really relieve any stress your motor may throw at it. In my experience it is a car with a strong motor and dead gears that will cause problems, as well as harsh shifting shift kits.

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
Bonnewagon said:
Well, as always, fit the punishment to the crime. A 7.5 is good for what it is, a low performance rear, and those crazy gears will really relieve any stress your motor may throw at it. In my experience it is a car with a strong motor and dead gears that will cause problems, as well as harsh shifting shift kits.

good point i think the crazy gears could help relieve some of it's abuse. anyone have a link to any articles of how to identify a posi carrier, or will i be searching for a part number stamped somewhere on the carrier.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
there is only two types of posi's used by GM, auburn and eaton. The eaton has clutch disks and you'll see a keyway in the carrier for the tabs of the clutch packs when you look around the edge of the side gears. If you don't see the keyway it's an auburn..

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
seems to work great and I guess that's one way to inspect a posi without getting dirty....you must have some laid back neighbours or they're just used to you.. :mrgreen:

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
pontiacgp said:
seems to work great and I guess that's one way to inspect a posi without getting dirty....you must have some laid back neighbours or they're just used to you.. :mrgreen:

haha no im on a dead end but one of them yelled at me. its ok though thats the only time ive ever done anything that hard on my road and prob the only time too but I was just too inclined to test it out lol

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Sounds great! So you're that crazy car guy down the street. :rofl: Usually the crankiest neighbor is the first one to bother you with his car headaches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor