How to properly install AC/Heater box delete panel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
I'm getting ready to install the JEGS AC/Heater box delete panel. Should I use some kind of sealant on the delete panel to keep water out, or do the screws tighten enough that I dont have to worry about it?

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I would put some kind of sealant behind it, like 3M Strip caulk. Why take a chance having it leak.
Why not keep the HVAC box intact?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Deleting all of the HVAC and want the nice smoother look on the firewall.

why not make an engine cover like some newer cars have so you can hide everything....I never thought of removing the heater/ac a good idea, especially just for cosmetics

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I could understand going with the "smooth" look, but what do you do about heat, defrost or defog...or even A/C?
If that's what you have your mind set on, then we can't talk you out of it. I would, however, strongly urge you to keep the A/C/ heater box and not to dispose of it. Frankly, I wouldn't buy a car without heat or A/C functional. But, I guess we all have our own comfort levels to contend with....especially us older dudes.

• Agree

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
Dont need the heat or AC, and I'm a bit older as well (44) lol. Car will never be driven in the cold and I'm okay with no AC in the summer.
Now if I get stuck in the rain and windows start fogging up, I guess I'll need to keep a roll of towels with me, lol.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I don't know the laws where you are but here In Ontario a car cannot not pass a safety inspection if the defroster is not functioning. With a delete plate it's an easy call that the car isn't roadworthy

shawn1112

Greasemonkey
Apr 3, 2017
I don't know the laws where you are but here In Ontario a car cannot not pass a safety inspection if the defroster is not functioning. With a delete plate it's an easy call that the car isn't roadworthy
Luckily for me, Illinois doesnt have inspections. I dont even have to do emissions because of the age of the car.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I was hoping the reason for wanting a plate on your firewall was you needed the room to fit this.
1577409012374.png

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

Longroof79

G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Dont need the heat or AC, and I'm a bit older as well (44) lol. Car will never be driven in the cold and I'm okay with no AC in the summer.
Now if I get stuck in the rain and windows start fogging up, I guess I'll need to keep a roll of towels with me, lol.
Well, down here in Florida there's also no inspection, but I still couldn't see suffering anymore without A/C. I've driven it for years as a daily driver with no A/C and I'll tell you, it sucks. Also, not having a working defroster is insanity. When I was a bit younger and carefree...or careless, it didn't matter that much.
When you get a bit older you appreciate having these things in functional order...and I'm pushing 70. At 44, you could be my son. :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor