How to remove and install distributor gear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
MSD Chevy gears can go on either way and the roll pin can be R & R from either side.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
So how do I get the gear offand on the pin is out?
They probably created a burr installing the bronze gear, the gear slides off so either try twisting it off or carefully pry it off

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

83MonteCarloSS

Greasemonkey
Oct 5, 2015
Uh oh. I didn't do that. What is the outcome that should have occurred if I got it backward?
I don't know. I rebuilt my HEI and the video I watched on how to do it mentioned it. I suspect it might shift timing slightly with relation to the distributor housing. It shouldn't matter though as long as you verify your timing.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Uh oh. I didn't do that. What is the outcome that should have occurred if I got it backward?
I never knew that either - I had changed about 3 or 4 of them before I realized the dimple alignment was a thing lol. Don't ask how I time the motor when the dizzy comes out.

If you don't line the dimple up, the oil pump will be out of phase! Dummy!

You're such a wise *ss - I burst into laughter - hehe.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Here is the picture pin is clearly out and if I get it off with channel locks how does the new gear goes on does it have to be pressed on or what?Thanks
This wasn't running correct? That gear is borderline not worthy of the term 'gear' any longer.

And run from the bronze gears like Forrest Gump - THEY SUCK

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
I got it off with a screwdriver Thanks
Thanks for reporting back what the outcome was. When you put the repaired distributor back in remember that the helical teeth will turn the rotor a little as it engages. To get the rotor pointing the right way, you may have to go back a tooth when you push it back in. Hopefully the oil pump tang is right where you left it when you pulled the distributor out...if not, you can use a big screwdriver to turn the oil pump shaft a little either way. The pump does not care as long as the distributor tang is fully seated into the slot int he pump shaft. You'll know if it's right - the distributor will drop down flush with the intake.

Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor