CUTLASS How to remove exterior window trim?

Status
Not open for further replies.

old80cs

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Massachusetts
I have to remove the stainless steel windshield and rear window trim work on my 80' Cutlass Supreme to start getting it ready for paint. Can someone give me some details on how to do it without damaging anything? I think this is the tool I need, but I have no idea how to use it. Any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• Tools.jpg
    Tools.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 199

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
That's the proper tool. Using it effectively takes a bit of feel. Basically, you slide the hook under the trim and locate the clip, then pull the clip towards the center of window to release it from the trim.

If you search youtube, you will find some vidoes to show how the process.

Hope this helps,
Scott

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Don't know if your done yet, the best I can add is, hold the main body of the tool flat against the window,GO SLOW,feel for the clip, then gently and firmly use the shape of the tool to pivot toward the center. While gently prying up on the mldg. I've found it easier to start at the bottom of either A pillar after removing the big stainless mldg.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Gozer442

Master Mechanic
Aug 9, 2016
Ontario, Canada
Using that tool, the job goes pretty quick...just be gentle. You will break some clips, or they will already be broken from age and weathering. You can still find replacements online, and at the wrecking yards. Good luck!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor