How to remove the drive shaft

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaqowt

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 15, 2011
Shreveport, La
I have a 84 olds Cutlass Supreme Bro. , im swapping my old buick v6 for a sbc 350, but my problem is I cant seem to get the drive shaft to release from the rear end. I have taken the bolts holding it end out but still stuck in place. Mind you this is my first time removing an engine and I have been very successful up to this point. Based on what I have been reading after you take out the bolts and strap (Maybe not the correct word for them) holding it in you pull it away and down from the rear end and the out from the rear of the transmission. What else can I do???

Peter

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
MA
use a pry bar between the back of the U joint and pinion. Try not to break the ujoint but you should be replacing them anyways.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
You were right on point with the "bolts and strap" 8)

They can be a real bear sometimes. Try changing them off a car from MI or NY, real nasty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor