1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How To Swap Buick V6 3.8 to SBC 350

Discussion in 'Engine / Swaps etc.' started by dougfather, Sep 11, 2007.

1. 1986b2000

1986b2000 Not-quite-so-new-guy

So with the 350 swap does anyone suggest a specific transmission that bolts right up to existing v6 mounts and used stock driveshaft?

2. Garrett1982

Garrett1982 G-Body Guru

Th350 mounts to crossmember in the same spot as the th200 but looks to be slightly longer overall depending on tailshaft length. The 200 4r is the same length as the th200 but has a different mounting location. You would need a different crossmember. Jeg's sells double hump crossmembers for around $125. image.jpeg

3. Clone TIE Pilot

Clone TIE Pilot Royal Smart Person

I did this sawp 9 years ago, the thing is to have a complete donor car. I was lucky to get a good deal on a complete powertrain out of a MCSS for my Regal swap, including complete computer harness, ECM, th2004R, belt drives, emission parts, and trans crossmember, it was everything. Even after doing a engine swap, the 2.41 gearing in the rear axle is still a major handicap as just about every base car with the 3.8 came with that rear. Again I got lucky and got a good deal on a complete posi rearend with 3.73 ratio out of another MCSS a year later.

It was easy to swap out the v6 computer harness for the v8 computer harness which kept the car legal and maintained lockup, the CCC also gas washes the cylinders less than a normal carb because it has finer fuel control.

The handling with a v8 over v6 springs is going to be poorer than stock and expect to do a v8 front spring upgrade soon. Also be a good time to install new upper controls arms designed for tall ball joints to fix the G body front geometry issues so you don't have to use as harsh of a spring rate up front.

The th200c and th2004r use the same length driveshaft but different trans crossmembers. For some reason Turbo Buicks and MCSSs use different style crossmembers and trans mounts despite using th2004rs. MCSS use a on center mount crossmember with a centered trans mount and the ends bolt directly to the frame. Turbo Buicks use a off center trans mount and the ends of the crossmember use rubber mounting bushings on the frame.

#53 Clone TIE Pilot, Jan 31, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
  4. Austin F

Austin F n00b

Is there a simple way to rewire the stock olds 3.8 “choke circuit” for a Holley choke, or would it be easier to run my own circuit?