How To Swap Buick V6 3.8 to SBC 350

87CutlassSupremeBrougham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2024
Started my swap to a sbc327 and I have some questions:

I have a th350 with the 6" tailshaft for a total length of 27-5/8. The th200 is 28-1/4. Am I going to need a longer driveshaft or is the shorter overall 5/8" not a problem?
How bad is the handling if you dont swap your front springs?
Do I just get stock gbody V8 brackets for alternator, AC and steering pump?
Can I leave the v6 computer in or what exactly do I do there?

Sargent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2013
Started my swap to a sbc327 and I have some questions:

I have a th350 with the 6" tailshaft for a total length of 27-5/8. The th200 is 28-1/4. Am I going to need a longer driveshaft or is the shorter overall 5/8" not a problem?
How bad is the handling if you dont swap your front springs?
Do I just get stock gbody V8 brackets for alternator, AC and steering pump?
Can I leave the v6 computer in or what exactly do I do there?
-The driveshaft will work with no issues.
-I can't answer the spring question. I haven't driven my Regal yet
-All the accessory brackets can be found on eBay. I'm not sure about the factory ones since I just bought new.
-You could leave the computer in but it isn't hard to remove. You just remove the interior panels by the passenger's right foot and pull the wiring out from the engine bay side. I used a rubber expansion plug to fill the hole.

87CutlassSupremeBrougham

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 18, 2024
-The driveshaft will work with no issues.
-I can't answer the spring question. I haven't driven my Regal yet
-All the accessory brackets can be found on eBay. I'm not sure about the factory ones since I just bought new.
-You could leave the computer in but it isn't hard to remove. You just remove the interior panels by the passenger's right foot and pull the wiring out from the engine bay side. I used a rubber expansion plug to fill the hole.
Thanks for the tips. I am going to drop in the SBC with the trans attached. What can also be installed before it goes in? Pulleys and water/fuel pump?

Sargent

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 28, 2013
Thanks for the tips. I am going to drop in the SBC with the trans attached. What can also be installed before it goes in? Pulleys and water/fuel pump?
I put my 350 in with the th350 hanging off the back too. I got my engine with no accessories on really. Had the water pump, fuel pump, exhaust manifolds. I don’t think the starter was on it but there is no reason the alternator and power steering can’t be on there at the same time. I had the whole front clip with the core support removed which made installing the engine super easy. I also had the steering shaft removed and steering gear

Last edited:

stew86MCSS396

Greasemonkey
Aug 1, 2022
(808)
Re: coil springs...I've done a chevy 229 V6 to SBC '81 Monte, Buick 231 to Buick 455 '81 Regal and SBC to BBC '86 Monte SS. None of them got upgraded springs up front but there was a noticeable drop that I did not measure the before and after. Keep in mind, of the 3 mentioned the SS from the factory had stiffer springs as compared to the others.

Last edited:

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor