How To Tell of Brakes are Functioning as Designed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I agree the brakes on our cars are low quality to begin with. You can play around with master cylinder bores to get different characteristics. I prefer the largest bore available for less pedal travel. The price for that is more pedal effort but with a power booster so what? I also seek out taxi/fleet/police grade shoes and pads for better grip and less fade.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
It's not very effective but with that HP have you considered adding a parachute to the rear of the car...:D

If I still had the G body rear I would add one of these...

s-l500.jpg
A little tip on installing these, if you chase the hole you drill in the backing plate & axle flange, make sure you use a quality tap (& cutting oil of course.) I broke a cheap one in my flange when I tried to add mine (& I was using cutting oil :()

• Informative
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 users

84GP455

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2007
Methuen Ma.
I had rear drums for most of my cars life until I bought a Grand National rear end that was converted to discs. Now I know why all new cars and trucks have 4 wheel disc brakes.......they work way better than drums for sure. My car stops quicker and you can feel the brakes bite, great improvement.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I had rear drums for most of my cars life until I bought a Grand National rear end that was converted to discs. Now I know why all new cars and trucks have 4 wheel disc brakes.......they work way better than drums for sure. My car stops quicker and you can feel the brakes bite, great improvement.

As far as disk working better there are still plenty of transport trucks out there with drum brakes. Disk brakes have the advantage when constantly heavy breaking the drums will expand leaving you a low pedal. There is nothing wrong with the rear drum brakes if maintained and adjusted properly.

• Agree
  • Disagree
Reactions: 2 users

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I disagree. Why do drum brakes even exist anymore? Discs are so much better on every level. And from a manufacturer's aspect why would you want 5 times the parts for a more difficult to service component? My Dad's Saturn had the easiest to service discs I have ever seen. Remove one bolt, loosen the other, flip the caliper up, swap pads, flip caliper down, replace bolt, tighten the other- DONE!!! Our '95 Formula Firebird has 4 wheel discs and they will put your head through the windshield if you are not careful. Getting them on my wagon is another goal of mine.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
I would submit that alot depends on climate, maintenance and adjustment (if necessary). I've been doing repairs on everything from cars to buses for over 45 years now. Here in southern Ontario, because of the climate, and the use of road salt in the wintertime, disc brakes, especially rear disc brakes tend to be subject to issues due to corrosion, which make them less effective than they could be, which usually means they need more maintenance than drum brakes. Vehicles with 4 wheel disc brakes (when properly maintained and adjusted) tend to stop more effectively than vehicles with a front disc/rear drum setup (once again, when properly maintained and adjusted). In my current job, I do repairs on transit buses. The buses at the shop where I work were recently replaced. The old buses had 4 wheel drum brakes, and the new buses have 4 wheel disc brakes. I've driven them both, and to me, there's no significant difference in braking capability in brake efficiency or stopping distance between the 2 vehicles. In a normal everyday street driven vehicle, in this part of the world, all things being equal, while the 4 wheel disc vehicle may stop a little better, over the long term, it will probably require more maintenance and repair than a disc drum vehicle, and overall, the difference in brake efficiency is not a whole lot. For my money, I'd rather have the disc/drum vehicle. Having said that, in a more southerly climate, where rust and corrosion isn't as much of a factor, then the 4 wheel disc setup would probably be a better choice. Just my $0.02 anyway.

• Disagree
Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor