How's a th200 4R going in a V6 231 3.8L Chevy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
It will work just fine. You’ll need to modify your crossmember to move the mount towards the rear. You’ll need a lockup kit to make it live without a computer.
ssn696 thanks for the information brother. I will keep it in mind ;). Here in Venezuela the Chevy Malibu was assembled with parts brought from Canada. And the engine did not use ECM or computer. none! no Malibu from 78 to 83, although here you can get some rare ones from the year 84; Well, they were assembled or manufactured until that date. Then came in 1985 the Chevrolet Celebrity, Beautiful Mali Version hahaha but with the weakness of being front-wheel drive and transverse engine :( . A good adventure would be that someone like US from the FORUM installed a Malibu chassis or powertrain.🌍👍

Reactions: 1 user

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
When you install the transmission you need to install it without the pan on to verify than when you press the gas pedal that the Tv cable it pulling the cable in inserting the plunger 100% when the carb/efi throttle plat hits WOT. If this is not happening you can burn that transmission up fast. And I mean FAST FAST. Carb/EFI needs to have the 2004r bracket for proper geometry. Get that right and this will be a huge upgrade for that car.
Copied captain !. Haha I appreciate your help

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Being an 83’ it’s computer controlled and should have a lockup converter, so the wiring/plug might work(?). Not sure, just thinking out loud.
do not worry, my friend!. It is 1983 but it is not controlled by computer. It was like that in the USA and some imported to Mexico. 😉👍

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Yes, the plug is the same between the TH250/350C and the 2004R. He probably has the less desirable TH250C, if original. I would think the wiring would be the same. Make sure you run at least 3.42 gearing with a 2004R. Those two changes will make your car much faster and . You will run around 1850 at 60 mph with 2004R/3.42 gear with a stock tire height. You probably have 2.41 gears so you actually drop 100 rpm over your current combo at 60 mph. Another bonus besides the deeper first gear and great .67 OD is the torque converter. I find stock TH250/350 converters stall at a dismal 1600 rpm. Every stock and rebuilt 2004Rconverter, stamped D9, stall around 1900 rpm, 300 rpm makes a big difference in launch. Add dual exhaust and you won't be scared to merge into modern traffic.

great !, I'm surprised by everything you know mate. With 15 "wheels, will there be a better or worse difference in stability and speed? That would be another modification because I dream of making AWD this Chevy Dreamlybú Classic! hahaha 😎

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
The 15" wheels allow a much larger tire selection. With that stability should be better if anything.

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Yes, the plug is the same between the TH250/350C and the 2004R. He probably has the less desirable TH250C, if original. I would think the wiring would be the same. Make sure you run at least 3.42 gearing with a 2004R. Those two changes will make your car much faster and . You will run around 1850 at 60 mph with 2004R/3.42 gear with a stock tire height. You probably have 2.41 gears so you actually drop 100 rpm over your current combo at 60 mph. Another bonus besides the deeper first gear and great .67 OD is the torque converter. I find stock TH250/350 converters stall at a dismal 1600 rpm. Every stock and rebuilt 2004Rconverter, stamped D9, stall around 1900 rpm, 300 rpm makes a big difference in launch. Add dual exhaust and you won't be scared to merge into modern traffic.

great !, I'm surprised by everything you know mate. With 15 "wheels, will there be a better or worse difference in stability and speed? That would be another modification because I dream of making AWD this Chevy Dreamlybú Classic! hahaha 😎
The 15" wheels allow a much larger tire selection. With that stability should be better if anything.
🌌

Attachments

• Malibú 4x4.jpg
    Malibú 4x4.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Lot of assumptions in this thread, given the poster's location.

* US market car, or other? Not all '83s got computers
* 3.8 could also be 229 Chevrolet engine, 231s are pretty uncommon in Malibus
* Verified TH350? See first bullet point......Could be TH250, TH250C, TH350, TH350C, or even a TH200 or TH200C if just going by pan shape rather than bolt count/band adjustment. etc to lock down what trans is actually in it. Again, will depend on how car was originally configured to get an idea of what OE wiring is or is not present

Lot of assumptions in this thread, given the poster's location.

* US market car, or other? Not all '83s got computers
* 3.8 could also be 229 Chevrolet engine, 231s are pretty uncommon in Malibus
* Verified TH350? See first bullet point......Could be TH250, TH250C, TH350, TH350C, or even a TH200 or TH200C if just going by pan shape rather than bolt count/band adjustment. etc to lock down what trans is actually in it. Again, will depend on how car was originally configured to get an idea of what OE wiring is or is not present
ENGLISH / INGLÉS

* The car is from the Venezuelan market (Differences exist between those of the USA) It does not use a computer
* It's a 3.8L V6 231, Yes a 231! General Motors Venezuela, equipped with 231 since 81
From what I see, in the USA the 229 engine is common and here the 231 is common. Currently in my country they are usually replaced by the famous 262 blazer engine, 4.3L. They install them using parts or accessories from the 231 and mount the same Dual Jet 210 Rochester carburettor from the Malibu.
* Yes it is a TH350, it is called around these parts: "350 Short Tail".

** Basically I want to know experiences of people who know these engines and gearboxes, to elucidate how much extra you can get out of a 231 with a th200 4R Overdrive, I have faith in that old school engine, which I think about install a rochester quadrajet carburettor using the intake that came here from the factory with the chevy caprice with a 252 engine, which is similar on the outside to the 231 Malibu.

SPANISH / ESPAÑOL:

* El carro es del mercado Venezolano (Diferencias existen entre los de USA) no usa computadora
*Es un 3.8L V6 231, Sí un 231!. General Motors Venezuela, equipó con 231 desde el año 81
Por lo que veo, en USA es comun el motor 229 y aqui es comun el 231. Actualmente en mi pais suelen sustituirlos por el famosisimo Motor 262 de blazer, de 4.3L. Los instalan utilizando partes o accesorios del 231 y montan el mismo carburador Dual Jet 210 Rochester del Malibú.
*Sí es una TH350, se le llama por estos lares: "350 Cola Corta".

**Basicamente quiero saber experiencias de personas que conozcan estos motores y cajas de cambios, para dilucidar que tanto extra se le puede sacar de provecho a un 231 con una th200 4R Overdrive, Tengo fé en ese motor de la vieja escuela, al cual pienso instalarle un carburador rochester quadrajet utilizando la admision que aqui de fabrica trajo el chevy caprice con motor 252, el cual es similar por fuera al 231 Malibú.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Leave the carb for someone else - put EFI on it with a computer and add a turbo -
the rotating assembly will handle 14-15psi without issue if the tune is good - easy 300+ Hp.

J. Gregorio

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 4, 2020
Leave the carb for someone else - put EFI on it with a computer and add a turbo -
the rotating assembly will handle 14-15psi without issue if the tune is good - easy 300+ Hp.

wow, incredible combination you have recommended me !. Here in Venezuela I don't have many EFI options. Just connect a homemade injector to the HEI module to shoot gasoline jets to the carburetor, by aspiration and put a switch on the throttle at the bottom of it, so that it only injects fuel at high revs. I know it sounds crazy but I think it's the closest to an EFI I can do.

The turbo thing !: Does the 1987 GNX have TURBO? Right? Is it the same 3.8L Chevy? what difference is there in that buick block and the GM 3.8L?

wuao, increible combinacion me has recomendado!. Aqui en Venezuela no tengo muchas opciones de EFI. Solo conectar un inyector caseramente al modulo HEI para que dispare chorros de gasolina al carburador, por aspiracion y poner un switch en el acelerador al fondo de el, para que solo inyecte combustible a regimen alto de revoluciones. Sé que suena loco pero pienso que es lo mas cercano a un EFI que puedo hacer.

Lo del turbo!: El GNX 1987 tiene TURBO? correcto? es casi el mismo 3.8L Chevy? que diferencia hay en ese bloque buick y el GM 3.8L?

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Megasquirt 2 with a relay board. Homemade intake with 6 injectors or modify your current intake to fit in a 454tbi throttle body. This could be done for about $1200 in the US, but I can’t say what the expense would be where you’re located.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor