how's your hose clamp

jlat

Greasemonkey
Jan 25, 2013
hello peoples: I'm going to replace my heater hoses and control valve on my 86T when the weather gets better. It seems new cars don't use worm clamps but use those squesable ones. I like em but was wondering what youz guys R using. And with the squweez clamps any ideas of the best place to get em.
IBBY

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I've used both. Worm clamps you can get from the store, get the good ones not the cheap ones. The devil spring ones I've taken enough stuff apart over the years to have a bunch in a bucket however if you have a junkyard close by you can find a few for cheap.

• Agree
Reactions: 2 users

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
They make special pliers for the constant tension clamps. I really ought to get some. The more vehicles I buy with worm clamps, the more I hate them as the ignoramus that inevitably installed them over torqued the ever living crap out of every single one and deformed the hose. The constant tension clamps leave witness marks, so when you reinstall an old one just set the clamp back in those grooves and you're good to go.

Reactions: 4 users

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
Yea I need that ratcheting tool for them spring ones. I've used the SnapOn one at my buddy's shop and that one is good but I've got a house to pay off before I can afford that stuff..

Reactions: 1 users

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
You actually (for the most part) are better with the worm styled ones. But like supercharged111 said just don’t over tighten! After many years of doing it you get the feel for it. Even then the little buggers want to give you grief. The actually make a tool to in crimp the copper and brass necks. Usually it’s a radiator shop thing and comes in different ones for different sizes. 1/2 up to 3” I believe.

Reactions: 1 user

-dw-

Greasemonkey
Mar 15, 2021
Central MN
I pinch those dam things everyday. Some fight but all in all I like them since theyre self tightening. Rarely a comeback with a hose leaking with the spring clamp vs worm. Last fri I put a new radiator in a 09 Dodge 1500. Someone who worked on this truck previously musta hate the spring clamp, all were replaced with worm clamps. lol

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I’m using Ideal worms on the 85 heater hose pieces and the bypass hose because it’s what it came with. The Olds water pump inlet end has a special belt guard riveted to it. The other three rad hose clamps are the double wire type.

If I didn’t worry about modding anything I’d probably be open to the constant tension types. Camaros never had a problem using them.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Spring clamps have issues too. They tend to be brittle and crack easily, especially if they have the slightest bit of rust. You also can't adjust the tension of spring clamps like with worm clamps for odd sizes and you can deform them by accident. Both spring and worm clamps suck, just in different ways.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

jcelk

Apprentice
Dec 10, 2014
I have had trouble with the spring clamps with older hoses now i have a thin black worm clamp at the very end of the hose and a spring clamp after that

Sweet_Johnny

Has A Face For Radio
Supporting Member
Oct 4, 2022
Wichita, Kansas
I'm typically a fan of the worm style clamp for many reasons but the spring style definitely has its place. The problem I always seem to have with them is that they're in an awkward position and I can't get pliers on them very well. That leads to bent or broken clamps, scraped up hands, and a string of expletives so I bought a cheap version of the correct tool for them and it's a game changer. This particular one is currently unavailable but was $25 when purchased.
Screenshot_20240207-212515.png

I still need to get the "crimp" style setup.

• Informative

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor