I need help to buy my first g body

Status
Not open for further replies.

My first g body

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2022
Congratulations!! What a great car!

Very cool to hear that someone as deserving as you will be the next proud owner! Fantastic pictures too.

Welcome to our Family!! Der Gemutlichkeit!!
Yesss sir. That car is like a living room 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

My first g body

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 5, 2022
Fantastic. What's going to be your first improvement? Dual exhaust?
Yesss exhaust must to have because right now is like a Tesla. I don't hear nothing. I m thinking super 44 or super 10. But yess that vill be the first thing. I will start another yt Chanel with this car.

Reactions: 1 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
beautiful car. i have never seen that hood ornament before.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Grand national cat-back dual exhaust should bolt right on your car. you can get aftermarket style that companies like Pypes make with 2 mufflers that you can choose the type you want, or a stock style exhaust that places like HighwayStars sells that has 1 muffler of stock type.
pye-sgg51r_xl.jpg

stockgnexhaust.jpg

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Of the two options shown above, the unit in the first picture, the Pypes system, looks like it would flow the best. Essentially, you get a true dual after cat configuration starting right at the rear mounting flange for the cat, plus the advantage of individual mufflers. I would suspect that it would generate a more aggressive exhaust note or sound along the way. The second system by High Way Stars, is closer in configuration to what the factory stock counterpart would resemble. The exhaust pipes meet at a common muffler that would be located immediately behind the rear end, and for which an accommodation exists in the floor pan. The only limiting factors for both, as I see it, are your budget, what your department of motor vehicles will allow, what you want from your pipes, and the amount of time and effort that you may encounter trying to get to your goal. For myself I wish the Pypes system had existed back when I had my first Monte. It would have made replacing the dead, rotten, nasty original system a whole lot easier and faster; but that is just me, NOT a recommendation here. Great Pictures, Mr. Sony.

Nick

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Unless you get an aftermarket transmission cross member, you will need to also run a y shaped exhaust system as there is only one "hump" for the exhaust to pass through, which is on the passenger side. Do your research and see what setup will work best for you, budget wise and legally speaking.

Reactions: 1 user

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Guessing here that you mean a "Y" shaped head pipe to catalytic converter assembly? If memory serves that was all one chunk from the factory and cost $$$. it can be replicated and I think a repro version actually may be offered somewhere. As you say, and I do agree, $$$ and legal

Nick

ssn696

Living in the Past
Supporting Member
Jul 19, 2009
Permanent Temporary
The H engine code letter is a Chevrolet 305, which means that you could swap in a 350 and it would look exactly the same on the outside. You may need to replace the carburetor and PROM/ECU with a 350 version.

But behind a 305, you could upgrade to a 700-R4 from a 1988-1991 Chevy car or 2wd truck. The lower 3.06 first gear would wake up the performance and give you an overdrive without changing the rear gears. If you find the PROM from a 700-R4 donor car, it will lock up the torque converter. Otherwise, you can use an aftermarket pressure/vacuum lockup kit.

Very nice survivor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor