I Need Some Brake Help ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Pretty much exactly what I have. Im closing on 65. Ive been working on cars since I was a teenager. Not the first set of drum brakes Ive adjusted but I will say it was a pain in the butt putting them together. LOL

when installing the drum the shoes may not be centered making it difficult to put them on. I realize you have lots of experience but I like to check the easy things before going in deeper.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

MC96

Master Mechanic
Dec 7, 2015
Pushrod length can be too long as well. and its a very common problem. it wont allow the piston to retract in the master so that more fluid can go down the orifice into the bore.

• Informative

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Pushrod length can be too long as well. and its a very common problem. it wont allow the piston to retract in the master so that more fluid can go down the orifice into the bore.

If the rod was too long wouldnt it create too much pressure and make the brakes drag a little ? And it too short would the pedal have a little bit of play if you pulled it up towards the dash ? Im not sure, just a guess ?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I think I might have found the problem. The bore on an OEM wheel cylinder is 3/4. The bore on the wheel cylinders that come with a Moser rear is 1". I need to look into this a lot more but my buddy said the master might not be big enough to supply the volume in the larger cylinder.
Does that make sense ?

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Well, after making a ton of phone calls I think I have the solution. Called a bunch of shops. Called Moser. Then I called Master Power. Their tech support guy took the time and listened to the whole story. Turns out I have a 1" bore master.The original wheel cylinders on a Malibu are 3/4". With 1' bore wheel cylinders they recommend a 1 1/8" bore master. Kinda makes sense.
He also said it could be air in the line but when I told him how many times and how I bled the system he said it wasnt likely.
Now I have to find a bigger bore master.
That will be my next thread. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Found something for an 83 Malibu that MIGHT interest you. May be what you seek?

https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...aster-cylinder-brake-system/49343_0_2558_2060
To be honest, Im not sure. The guy from Master Power said I need a 1 1/8 bore. Im assuming thats for the rear. I think these are stepped bore with the larger bore for the fronts. Not sure though. Maybe someone else on the forum will know for sure.
I cant be the only person on here that went through this

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
If the rod was too long wouldnt it create too much pressure and make the brakes drag a little ? And it too short would the pedal have a little bit of play if you pulled it up towards the dash ? Im not sure, just a guess ?

Absolutely not. If the rod is too long, then you'll have a short pedal and low pressure forever.

Too short is better than too long.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
Absolutely not. If the rod is too long, then you'll have a short pedal and low pressure forever.

Too short is better than too long.

Did you read the other post ? Whats your opinion of the info the guy from Master Power gave me about the bore on the master ?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
Did you read the other post ? Whats your opinion of the info the guy from Master Power gave me about the bore on the master ?

Personally I woulds listen to 64nailhead before some employee at a parts reseller...I have read many of 64naihead's posts which shows his expertise and knowledge while I have no idea who the guy from Master Brakes is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor