I Promise - Last MCSS I Will Ever Check - price check!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
That looks like a good clean car to me. Price you're throwing around sounds fair too.

BUT.

I know some of your threads have made it sound like you were looking for an investment toy, something to enjoy, keep original, and get maximum return out of.

I will caution you, at least in the US, tht those body plugs from all the oiling holes drilled in the body strucure like I see in the rockers do lead to depreciation and less interest from "purists."

This looks to be a cared for and great candidate for driving and enjoying. If you have dreams of keeping it mint and one day bringing it to Barrett Jackson this is not it.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Thanks G Body peoples, for your advice and thoughts. I plan to enjoy the car, maintain it in it's original state, keep it OEM as much as I can but it won't be locked in a vault. You gotta pay to play and maybe if you're lucky you might come out financially ahead in the end.

As a side note - My wife really likes the MCSS in black - she asks, "Would changing to black from white affect it's value?" Keep in mind -it's her asking, not me.

Last edited:

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario

I spy an option number that none of the others had!!! hint: starts with G

Reactions: 1 user

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
4 out of 5 1986 and 1987 SS I checked did not have posi although they all had 3.73 pinion. 2 did not even have A/C but they were t tops.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
The G80 option did not come standard on the mid '80s Monte SS, it had to be ordered. Most did not come with it from the factory. 1983 & 1984 had the 3.42/1 final drive rear gear (3 speed auto-no overdrive), and 1985 to 1988 had the 3.73/1 final drive rear gear (4 speed auto overdrive).
Even the bucket seats with the console were an option, and had to be ordered. The basic Monte SS package came with a bench seat and column shifter. I've seen a couple like that over the years. 442kid was selling a very low mileage (2,200kms original) '85 Monte SS here last year, that was a factory bench seat column shift car.

Reactions: 1 user

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
I remember seeing a very low mileage (maybe 5,000 miles) one owner 87' Monte SS on Ebay that came with every available option including t-tops except for one which was buckets and console.
This car was stored in a climate controlled garage and looked factory fresh everywhere and obviously they bought it as more of an investment so I was surprised that they would go the bench seat route, but I am assuming most would want buckets and console especially with a t-top car since it looks so much cooler in my opinion.

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
I've had time to closely look at SS now in my garage. It appears that there was a repaint of several sections because there is a subtle difference in the shade of white. Doesn't really bother me because, judging from the surface wear and tear, the repaint was a long time ago and if it was a crappy job the bondo would show cracking by now. The important stuff is still original - the chassis and interior. And it still has the coveted and beloved emission equipment.
I was talking to a speed shop guy today and he said these types of cars are targetted for visual emission equipment checks by the MOE (Ministry of Environment - kinda like EPA) because it's easy to spot missing or altered parts. One G body owner had them come onto his property to impound the heavily modified vehicle - they have the right to do that because they are the ' environment police'

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
Ed I have heard the same friend of a friend who knows some guy who got busted rumors for years.
Making it difficult is that you could get emissions delete vehicles until IIRC 85 or 86 making it a very grey area for an MTO officer to check out a Gbody. You would have to run into a really knowledgeable person to know your car should have come with A B and C as orig emissions equipment. The MonteSS, 442 are a bit more vulnerable because they all came with full emissions ( even in Canada ) as part of the package. Whereas I have seen first hand an 84 Cutlass, all orig ( less than 50k kms documented ) with full emissions delete from the factory. This car came factory with no cat, air pump, egr, or CCC. Basically its a 305 with the 200c trans, PCV and charcoal canister are the only emissions equipment I could see ( currently under the knife for a Twin Turbo 5.3 btw )
MTO are really only interested in OBD2 vehicles and newer and flagrant violators. Not to say that you shouldn't run the Cat, egr, charcoal canister etc... in your car. In my case I carefully removed and saved the smog pump and related CCC system. Also got rid of the pellet cat for a newer hi-flow unit and swapped the manifolds for headers within days of my MCSS ownership.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor