I think I'm done with Sears/Craftsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWPottenger

G-Body Guru
Oct 9, 2012
bill said:
Not to argue the point...but in my opinion, the only things in the world that should come with a warranty is stuff that is expected to last a long time,

Will not argue issues with quality lately. We Americans have brought this on ourselves. Our society no longer demands USA made or Quality made for that matter. Problem with Sears is the people working there typically don't care about the product as store employees and managers in the past did. Punch a clock and go home is the limit of there interest. Now there are some great people still out there in the stores, but few and far between.

Craftsman tools came with a Lifetime warranty, because they actually built and designed the tools to last yours, your children's, and grand children's lifetime. They felt so strongly about the quality and pride in craftsmanship they placed the lifetime warranty on it.

Also you as the customer MUST know your rights and not let the counter person tell you different.

Craftsman Warranty Statement: If any Craftsman guaranteed forever hand tool fails to provide complete satisfaction, return it for free repair or replacement.

So if you are unhappy with refurbs you have the right to demand a better solution. I wish I could say that Craftsman has not fallen to they same bad habits of China crap as most companies, but they have. Our only way to fix / reverse this trend is to write to Craftsman and demand USA made and better quality control, and all other companies for that matter.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
I bought a Home Depot "Husky" brand 1/2" ratchet set. So far in the 15 years I have had them, the breaker bar has broken, the ratchet has broken, and one of the sockets split. But, Home Depot has been real good about replacing them, though. And since there are Home Depots all over the place it is usually pretty convenient. It would be nice to have tools that never broke but for the price, and considering the convenience, I am happy with my Home Depot set.

spudd

Apprentice
Sep 10, 2012
i own a body shop and use all snapon tools but for my in truck carry tools i bought a cheap set of husky ratchets and sockets and wrenches..i have to say for a cheap set of tools they have held up well...
i'm with you on the craftsman on them being junk now and the return policy is a joke.they eather are discontinued or out of stock whenever i have went to warrentee anything. that's why i tried husky out

G-boz

Greasemonkey
Jul 13, 2008
CT
Most of my tools are Craftsman. I returned a few thing over the years, but they take new tools off the shelf when exchanging them. I never had refubrished crap handed to me at the register.

onyxxtreme

Greasemonkey
Jul 12, 2007
Ft Polk, LA
thats a slap in the face
craftsmen used to be good hand tools, in my opinion
my dad still has craftsman ratchets from 40+ years ago, that have never broken or been rebuilt, and still work good.
I have some craftsmen ratchets that are quality built, and some of the newer asian ratchets that look and feel like junk.

seawolf18

Master Mechanic
Jan 12, 2013
SE South Dakota
I have used craftsman tools for years. I still use the large mechanics set that my dad bought me for my birthday about 15 years ago. I have broken a couple of the sockets and the 1/4 drive ratchet in it, but the local sears has replaced them with no questions asked. The replacements have all worked well. My mom got me a new Craftsman max axxess kit for my birthday this year. The ratchets in it are a nice quality steel, and they have some pretty good weight to them. All the sockets seem to be built pretty well too. For a "shade tree" mechanic like me, I can't justify the price of snap on or cornwell stuff.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
I can`t comment of the quality of Craftsman tools because I don`t have any. I have a varied mix of all kinds of brands from Snap-on to cheap dollar store stuff. I can tell you that even the big brands like Snap-on aren`t like they used to be. When I first bought my snap-on screw driver set 17 years ago is was quality stuff. 2 years ago I broke a large flat head and a medium Phillips. Completely my fault. The snap-on guy replaced the blades no problem but they have broken again 3 times each in the past 2 years because the replacement blades are cheap, made in china parts. He even told me 3 weeks ago how the snap-on reps were given a big speech on how proud snap-on was to be opening their 5th plant in China. I now buy most of my hand tools at my local Canadian Tire store. Their Professional series line works just as well, cost 30% of what the Snap-On stuff does, is also warrantied for life and so far, any time I`ve broken a tool, they have replaced it with a new one without question.
deanlemans81

Poncho61

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2013
Peoria Illinois
I use crapsman tools everyday. I have a set I bought as my first real tool set almost 35 years ago. I've got some that belonged to my father and my wifes grandfather. No, they weren't the same guy. LOL I know for a few years they went foreign made, but I think they're USA made again now. Not that that means a whole lot. It just means that domestic manufacturers have stolen the chinese secret to cheap tool manufacturing. Last time I replaced a ratchet, they handed me one from under the counter. It was the same part number so no biggy there. I got back to the shop and was just spinning it by hand and noticed how notchy it felt one way, but not the other. I ended up disassembling it, cleaning it, and putting it back together. Lots smoother now. But I shouldn't have to have done that.

Overall, I haven't bought anything from sears in a couple of years now. Poor service, poor management, quality issues. Its no wonder you read they are poised for failure. I wrote them an e-mail a couple of years ago after making a trip to the store where I had called to check stock before driving 35 miles to get there. The item they had "a bunch of", was no where to be found and actually a part you had to order on-line to get. The management wouldn't even come out on the floor to talk to me. Corporate responded to my e-mail with a half hearted apology, but I decided I'd had enough.

I have friends who were swearing by kobalt. Kobalt has now went imported. Now the friends are swearing AT kobalt.

tc1959

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 23, 2009
Surprise AZ.
daelemans 81 said:
I can`t comment of the quality of Craftsman tools because I don`t have any. I have a varied mix of all kinds of brands from Snap-on to cheap dollar store stuff. I can tell you that even the big brands like Snap-on aren't like they used to be. When I first bought my snap-on screw driver set 17 years ago is was quality stuff. 2 years ago I broke a large flat head and a medium Phillips. Completely my fault. The snap-on guy replaced the blades no problem but they have broken again 3 times each in the past 2 years because the replacement blades are cheap, made in china parts. He even told me 3 weeks ago how the snap-on reps were given a big speech on how proud snap-on was to be opening their 5th plant in China. I now buy most of my hand tools at my local Canadian Tire store. Their Professional series line works just as well, cost 30% of what the Snap-On stuff does, is also warrantied for life and so far, any time I've broken a tool, they have replaced it with a new one without question.
daelemans 81
I agree, I have broken more Snap On Tools over the last 30 years than any other brand. I know what you are talking about with the screwdriver tips. I went through 8-10 Snap On air ratchets and 3 of their overpriced 1/2 inch impacts over the years.
I also had to replace my Snap On 15mm, 13mm, and 10mm sockets just about every two weeks. ( I was a heavy line tech and did almost nothing but engine work at the time ). I did have a bit better luck with my Matco stuff. I still have a Ingersole / Matco 1/2 impact gun that has been trouble free for 12 years. All my Matco wrenches still have the chrome on them unlike my Snap On stuff that has chrome peeling everywhere.
Lucky I don't have to buy too many tools anymore. Just an occasional special tool now and then. I don't think any of the tool companies have the quality that they used to.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
A co-worker of mine uses all Stanley wrenches, sockets, screwdrivers, etc. He gets them at walmart, and there cheap enough that if you break a socket you just buy a new set.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor