I think I'm done with Sears/Craftsman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
I've been buying Craftsman tools for over 20 years and really can't complain about the quality of the older stuff. But with regular use, they do wear out. My wife went to the mall yesterday so I sent one of my broken ratchets to have it exchanged. This one - http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-8-in-d ... =39869:3:0 . She was told by the kid at the counter that it's no longer available then reached into a bin under the counter, that she saw was just full of random tools, and handed her this beat up POS.

I know it may not seem like a big deal but they did replace it with a refurbished, lesser quality tool. I went from a 45 tooth with an 8* swing to a 36 tooth with a 10* swing. They used to replace broken tools with new ones. Then the went to the free "repair kits" for a while. Now this refurbished BS. The last broken socket had to be "special ordered" and shipped to me because they refused to break up a set and were out of stock with singles. I think I'll just buy off the trucks from now on. Rant concluded.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I haven't noticed a difference in quality over the years but I know what you mean about the refurbished POS tools they try to give you. I've replaced my 3/8 drive swivel head wrench with long handle at least 4 times mainly because I torque it too hard. 3 out of the 4 times this happened, they tried to give me a crappy used one with dings in the plastic handle. I just refuse to accept something of lesser quality and they give me a new one even if they have to ship one to my home because they don't have one in stock.

88cscb

Greasemonkey
Jan 2, 2013
PA
Kobalt is as bad. I got one of those new ratchet drives they were pushing at Xmas, I used it twice and it's broken.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
You know, it really wasn't a huge big deal. It just rubs me wrong that the guy didn't even look to see if they are still available -- but they are. It really has been a great ratchet considering it was pretty inexpensive to begin with and gets used pretty much every day. The replacement is a slightly lesser quality tool though. I've replaced more of the teardrop style than I can count. You really shouldn't be able to torque it "too hard" unless you put a pipe on the end or nudge it with a hammer.
Maybe it's just me getting old. Used to be the service was better. They went out of their way to make it right. Now they make it a hassle and try to make it seem like you're lucky to get any kind of replacement at all -- even if the replacement isn't as good or you have to wait a week to have it shipped to your house. I wonder if I would have gotten a straighter deal than my wife. We'll never know now. I won't be spending any more money on their tools. The broken stuff will go in a pile and will be replaced with Mac/Snap-On/Matco/Cornwell. When the pile gets big enough to justify a warranty trip I'll just make a run.

crucial118

Royal Smart Person
Nov 15, 2008
MARYLAND, DMV
Same thing happened to me the last time I went to Sears with a 3/8" long-handled, pear shaped, flex ratchet. It was slipping teeth and it needed to be replaced. They reached under the counter to give me a POS ratchet, like the one in your pic, that was in no way comparable(maybe it was since mine was broken) and I refused it. But on the other note, they had somebody in the store rebuild it for me while I waited. Took about 10-15 minutes and they were done. I don't think it's perfect, but I just put it in the back of my box and use it as a backup. I bought a Duralast to replace it. At least I know when it goes bad, Autozone will replace it with a new one.

azmalibuwagon

Master Mechanic
Sep 18, 2009
Phoenix
I bought a Craftsman breaker bar 5 or 6 years ago, and it bent -badly- the first time I used it, which was later that same day. It was made out of some soft metal. Silly idea, I mean it's a breaker bar! I took it back, got my money back and picked up a much better one at Autozone, which I use frequently with a 3 ft piece of pipe as an extension to brake axle bolts, and it's still working fine.

It seems sad that an Autozone tool would be made better than a Craftsman.

hurst1979olds

G-Body Guru
Feb 19, 2011
East Stroudsburg, PA
I have a 3/8 ratchet that is my "go-to". It is a long handle and the head swivels. I broke it one day so I brought it in to exchange. I literally got home and the next bolt. I went to break look loose the "refurbed" on broke. I brought it back and demanded a new one and they just wouldnt do it. But the one I got now seems to be holding up fine....both times I broke the mechanism inside. But like you said I.will probably give my.business elsewhere.

bill

Royal Smart Person
Jul 11, 2008
southside va/lake gaston
Not to argue the point...but in my opinion, the only things in the world that should come with a warranty is stuff that is expected to last a long time, like washer/dryers, refridgerators, stoves, tv's, cars, etc. The term, "Warranted for life"..is just a gimmick used to sell the cheap parts/tools ..but its really a joke. Much like the lifetime warranty on brake pads....come on :blam: What imbecile came up with that idea? I can see the need for warranties on starters and alternators, engines, transmissions, etc...but BRAKE PADS???? I think if there were no warranties on tools...the good quality tools would have the reputation of quality to promote themselves...and the chinese made junk wouldnt. Quality products dont need warranties......because they last..... Junk parts/tools do, because they dont....just my two cents...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor