I want a Chevelle and a Camaro.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vanrah

G-Body Guru
Apr 16, 2013
Near Afton, Wisconsin
Greetings Guys; I just gotta raze ya, Mr Sony. How come ya picked some of the slowest performance cars of the day?
If I was in the market for a new car in 1969, it'd either be a 69 dodge super bee, with the lift off fiberglass hood, vinyl top (to prevent scratches :p), a 69 charger triple black with ac, 69 GS400 skylark, 69 trans am, 69 gto judge ram air iv, 69 boss 302, 70 AMC Rebel "The machine", 69 f100, 69 bronco, 69 c10... wait how many were we limited to?
The summers of 68 & 69 I did a lot of street racin' & some at the drag strips. Ok I raced a lot back in 62 thru 66 also. And I'll still race if space-open road & semi hot roded car seems interested!
Back to your wish list, The only car you picked that would rev past 5500 RPM is the Boss 302. It could hold it's own among these hydraulic lifter LOW revving heavy weights. But the fast cars of the day were solid lifter RATS, Ok one year hemi's, a few 427 FE side oilers, they were all good for 6500 RPM. But the Rats were good for 6800 & if ya got them in a Camaro or Nova body you were the Ruler of the street! Any of you guys ever here of Bill Grumpy Jenkins?? The only thing that could keep up with him was the solid lifter FE Fords & the solid lifter Hemi's. And neither of those companies made more than a few hundred. But GM made over 20,000 solid lifter Rats. Yenko's, Balwin Motion, Nickey, L-78's, L-72's & few others. The first night I had mine it seen 7000 more than once & on the way home I pulled that little rat to 6400 in 4th gear. Sure sure it only made power to 6800 but 7000 was easy in the first 3 gears. At 6400 in 4th the speedo was near back to 0. You guys do the math, 1 to 1 4th gear, F70 x 14 tires, 3.55 R & P. Back then I did the math on a slide rule, don't forget to allow for some clutch slippage (5% maybe). The *ss got light & that may be the fastest I've ever been as now days I limit myself to a buck twenty. As history fades I'm suprized by how many guys think that a big heavy hydraulic lifter cars were fast. Sure they could beat dads 327 four door. Just me runnin' at the fingers, Ole' Bob.
Ps: When my good friend (he's passed now agent orange) came by with his 69 GTO ram air IV, I took him for a ride. He wouldn't even race me. Even after I revealed the spring tension on his secondary air valve. Off the show room floor the secondaries wouldn't open until 4500 & of course it was done revving at 5600. After adjustment he was getting secondaries at 2500, he was elated & bought lunch.

Attachments

• 1968 Camaro lf.jpg
    1968 Camaro lf.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 90
  • 1968 Camaro lr.jpg
    1968 Camaro lr.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 1968 Spokane 1967 Fairlane 427.jpg
    1968 Spokane 1967 Fairlane 427.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 1968 Spokane_1965 shelby.jpg
    1968 Spokane_1965 shelby.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 1970_68 Camaro Orford.jpg
    1970_68 Camaro Orford.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 96
  • 1970_396-375_68 Camaro.jpg
    1970_396-375_68 Camaro.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 95
Reactions: 2 users

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Greetings Guys; I just gotta raze ya, Mr Sony. How come ya picked some of the slowest performance cars of the day?

The summers of 68 & 69 I did a lot of street racin' & some at the drag strips. Ok I raced a lot back in 62 thru 66 also. And I'll still race if space-open road & semi hot roded car seems interested!
Back to your wish list, The only car you picked that would rev past 5500 RPM is the Boss 302. It could hold it's own among these hydraulic lifter LOW revving heavy weights. But the fast cars of the day were solid lifter RATS, Ok one year hemi's, a few 427 FE side oilers, they were all good for 6500 RPM. But the Rats were good for 6800 & if ya got them in a Camaro or Nova body you were the Ruler of the street! Any of you guys ever here of Bill Grumpy Jenkins?? The only thing that could keep up with him was the solid lifter FE Fords & the solid lifter Hemi's. And neither of those companies made more than a few hundred. But GM made over 20,000 solid lifter Rats. Yenko's, Balwin Motion, Nickey, L-78's, L-72's & few others. The first night I had mine it seen 7000 more than once & on the way home I pulled that little rat to 6400 in 4th gear. Sure sure it only made power to 6800 but 7000 was easy in the first 3 gears. At 6400 in 4th the speedo was near back to 0. You guys do the math, 1 to 1 4th gear, F70 x 14 tires, 3.55 R & P. Back then I did the math on a slide rule, don't forget to allow for some clutch slippage (5% maybe). The *ss got light & that may be the fastest I've ever been as now days I limit myself to a buck twenty. As history fades I'm suprized by how many guys think that a big heavy hydraulic lifter cars were fast. Sure they could beat dads 327 four door. Just me runnin' at the fingers, Ole' Bob.
Ps: When my good friend (he's passed now agent orange) came by with his 69 GTO ram air IV, I took him for a ride. He wouldn't even race me. Even after I revealed the spring tension on his secondary air valve. Off the show room floor the secondaries wouldn't open until 4500 & of course it was done revving at 5600. After adjustment he was getting secondaries at 2500, he was elated & bought lunch.
Those are just the cars I would have bought. I like chevies, but they're just so played out imo. If I wanted fast, I'd have listed the Apollo 11 Saturn V. :p Cool story though. I wish I was my age now back then. No cameras, people just seemed nicer, way less traffic, etc.

• Friendly
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor