If the weather is nice, get your g body out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

STLRegal

G-Body Guru
Jun 22, 2007
St.Louis
Looks nice!
What size tire are you running? I'm working on a set of the C3 wheels for my 88 SS and was looking at a 255 60 15.
Just a side note I found the factory C3 center caps will not fit in front, the dust cap son the front hub push them out on both the 88 and 79 Monte Carlo's but the center caps from the Monte Carlo Checkerboard are just a little deeper and fit fine.

I’m running 235 60 15 all the way around. I’ve had some minor rubbing issues in the front but only when the suspension is compressed and turning a good deal. But my car is lowered so that may make the difference. I’ve heard 255s fit in the rear but I can’t speak from experience.

For the wheels themselves, finding lug nuts that fit was more of a challenge then it should have been. The corvette ones didn’t fit, or they were too deep. Thanks for the info on the center caps. It does need them.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
I’m running 235 60 15 all the way around. I’ve had some minor rubbing issues in the front but only when the suspension is compressed and turning a good deal. But my car is lowered so that may make the difference. I’ve heard 255s fit in the rear but I can’t speak from experience.

For the wheels themselves, finding lug nuts that fit was more of a challenge then it should have been. The corvette ones didn’t fit, or they were too deep. Thanks for the info on the center caps. It does need them.

Thanks for the tire size info, I have 245 60's on the 15 x 8 steel Corvette rally's and have no clearance issues with a stock ride height. The 255's may be pushing it!
McGard short shank lug nuts (used them with a set of Centerline Convo Pro wheels) look to be what I'll end up using, the wheels came with the 7/16 standard thread lugs and the 88 requires the metric lugs.

clean8485

Comic Book Super Hero
Dec 18, 2005
Ontario, Canada
79 USA 1, do the Monte checkerboard caps fit the hole in the center of the Corvette rims tightly? I just picked up a set of these rims, to use on my '80 Malibu. The rims did not have center caps on them when I got them, and I'll need to find caps for them. I'm a bit surprised that the hub on the A/G body cars stick out further than a Corvette hub. Does anyone know if there is a metric thread nut available for this style of rim? I might be switching the rims to a later G body later on. Thanks in advance.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
79 USA 1, do the Monte checkerboard caps fit the hole in the center of the Corvette rims tightly? I just picked up a set of these rims, to use on my '80 Malibu. The rims did not have center caps on them when I got them, and I'll need to find caps for them. I'm a bit surprised that the hub on the A/G body cars stick out further than a Corvette hub. Does anyone know if there is a metric thread nut available for this style of rim? I might be switching the rims to a later G body later on. Thanks in advance.

The set of center caps I have are used and were a not a tight fit in the checkerboard wheels, they do however fit the C3 wheels quite well and were a better fit than the set from these C3's that shipped with the wheels. I've always secured these snap in center caps with a thin bead of clear RTV from the back just to prevent loosing them. (Went through a few on the Checkerboard wheels)
I have seen the factory metric lug nuts for these wheels on e-bay, they are the same lug nut used on the Camaro N90 wheel (simular to the Monte Carlo SS N90) Camaro turbine, Olds 442 and Firebird Formula wheels. I'm going to use a set of short shank McGard lug nuts with mine. I believe Summit has them under part number MCG-60129.

Hope this helps.
Bob S

ed1948

Royal Smart Person
Aug 6, 2016
Quinte West, Ontario
Another beauty of a day, Sunday, just north east of Toronto.
DSC_0226 (2).JPG

Reactions: 2 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I ran 255/60s on those wheels on my former 80 Malibu, fit fine in the rear, had to go to 235/60 on the front due to fender design (they caught the very bottom corner of the fender ahead of the wheel). Might get away with them on a Regal or Pontiac, they seem to have a more round wheelwell shape.

deanlemans81

G-Body Guru
Sep 7, 2010
Acton Vale, Quebec, Canada
took mine out yesterday for a last ride before winter. Came back home on a flatbed. I still have to test things but i think the ignition module failed. so much for a last ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor