If your a tool guy you might to read this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
Seeing as were all here over a common bond of mechanical things, i figured i would take this opportunity to give you dudes some inside information, because i have the feeling a bunch of people are about to get very angry at their local stores. forgive the attempts to fool the google search bots. If you go to buy some tools at your local S-e-a-r-s store, be weary of the new E-volve tool line. Ever wonder what happens to your old sockets after you turn them in? well, now they are being melted down and reborn into this new "green" tool line. Sounds ok right? Well heres the kicker. These tools are only sold in sets, so if one socket breaks, you MUST return the whole set. Not only that, but they have a "limited" lifetime warranty. Sorry auction guys, but you cant buy a bunch of these tools dirt cheap then turn around and get brand new ones. In order to return this line of tools, you MUST have the receipt. The system wont allow us to do it without a receipt.

Just wanted to share because these tools are cheaper than the normal line, and it can be pretty tempting to go that route. But at least now you know, if you wanna go that route dont lose any of the tools that came in the set, and LAMINATE THAT RECEIPT!

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
That's why I stick to the Craftsman line. I'm on my 4th free replacement 1/2" X 9/16th" long handled box end combination wrench. It fits almost every fastener on an old American car.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
Well, thats what i was a little hesitant to say, but damn the torpedo's i suppose. Evolve is a new line of Craftsman tools. Don't make them too popular, of they might just become THE line of tools, ya dig?

RockSS

Master Mechanic
Oct 24, 2010
Enfield Ct
I herd something like they were only limited warranty ... so I stayed away from them. I do try to take care of my tools I have only returned 1 allen socket and 1 torques bit my rachets I take all apart and clean and lube them. thanks for the insite tho I didnt know they were melted down old tools. I dont know if they do it around any of you guys but the sear here has a clearence section I bought the 150 pcs set for $49 all it was missing was the handle for holding screwdriver bits, that the kit I know keep in my trailer when I'm racing :D people are always in -n- out borrowing stuff.
So thanks again for the insight 8)

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
We have a clearance section, but it comes with the added aggravation of people wanting us to give them a ten piece socket set for half price because its missing one or two sockets. :roll: I use that example because it just happened. Guess they didn't realize we were offering ten dollars off and the sockets are only four dollars a piece. :mrgreen:

And back to the evolve tools, some dude found and broke into a craftsman tool "depot" full of returned tools. He started turning up in sears all over the area returning 50 tools a trip. They started getting his phone number at the stores, and loss prevention (security) saw he had returned like 1,000 tools in about a months time. No more tools for that guy. :cry:
So they had to do something with the old tools.

gp02a0083

Master Mechanic
May 17, 2011
I've noticed the local store by me doing some stuff like that. Used to bring in the old measuring tape when it would break, now they give yah an orange/red one and if it breaks your SOL. Also noticed this with impact screwdrivers, they would not let us exchange the broken tool for a new one until we supplied the bits as well. Ive brought back my 1/4 ratchet in about 5 times now for replacements, the rebuilt ones are horrible at best. I just got newer ratchets ( the ones with the slim ratchet head) and my local store does not have any in stock to replace my 1/4 in being the assembly practically fell apart (has been about 3 or so months now) and they do not have rebuild kits for them available.

the quality of these tools are getting worse and worse by the batch. Now you are saying they are smelting down the broken stuff for new ones, unless they "skim" or melt out the impure junk, the metal will be more brittle than it was than the tool that broke.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Snap On, and Mac still have free replacement on anything that breaks no questions asked don't they? I know the more expensive line of tools at Napa (crap I can't remember what brand they are) have warranties on them too. The cheaper ones that are just out on a rack don't have warranties unless it's obviously a defective tool or if it says so on the package. For example, I bought a brake line tube cutter and it broke after the second cut I made with it, it was obviously defective. So they gave me a new one (I also work there, but they'd do it for a customer too). The tools they keep behind the counter or in a glass case are warrantied.

I'm not surprised that Craftsman is going down the toilet... They're owned by K-mart. Not even wal-mart... Freakin K-mart who the hell even goes to K-mart? :lol:

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
kornball426 said:
I'm not surprised that Craftsman is going down the toilet... They're owned by K-mart. Not even wal-mart... Freakin K-mart who the hell even goes to K-mart? :lol:

:rofl: :rofl: Its funny cuz its true. the saddest part is that they were the bigger partner in the merger, cuz K-mart was REALLY in trouble. Then they turn around, and give the kmart people a seat at the table making decisions. :wtf:
Needless to say all us employees are keeping an eye on the stock market reports, and the "help wanted" ads.

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
Even Harbor Freight has a free replacement. Sad for Craftsman owners.

79malibu350

Master Mechanic
Mar 30, 2010
gp02a0083 said:
I've noticed the local store by me doing some stuff like that. Used to bring in the old measuring tape when it would break, now they give yah an orange/red one and if it breaks your SOL. Also noticed this with impact screwdrivers, they would not let us exchange the broken tool for a new one until we supplied the bits as well. Ive brought back my 1/4 ratchet in about 5 times now for replacements, the rebuilt ones are horrible at best. I just got newer ratchets ( the ones with the slim ratchet head) and my local store does not have any in stock to replace my 1/4 in being the assembly practically fell apart (has been about 3 or so months now) and they do not have rebuild kits for them available.

There is no new Craftsman tape measures in production, so once those crappy ones are gone in your area, they will start swapping out with Stanley. Stanley has a lifetime warranty, but its through Stanley and not sears. You cant trade them in at the store, but rumor has it home depot will swap out Stanley for Stanley.
whew, that was a lot of Stanley's.

And as for the ratchets, listen here cuz this is the best deal they offer. You can have a new one shipped to you straight from craftsman, no shipping charges, nothing. Its completely free to you and its a brand new ratchet off the line. No rebuilt guts, no tricks. It takes about 7-10 days for it arrive most times, and multiples may ship out in different boxes. I think some stores arent offering this, but i promise its an option. Each order they give us an confirmation number, and they are just the transaction number. I enjoy seeing how many hundred exchanges have happened in a single day, it amuses me.
1-800-682-8691. Thats the number for the craftsman club service line. Next time your ratchet fails, take that number and make em hook you up with a new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor