Status
Not open for further replies.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
foxtrot said:
pontiacgp said:
who said part of the key is still in the ignition?

Hmmmm... Good point, maybe I'm off on a tangent. ;-)

but if it is then I'd leave it there so I could turn the cylinder to remove the cylinder and by a new cylinder if I couldn't get the key out

family_72209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
No part of the key is in the lock cylinder, i figured i could glue it and have them make a copy but the wal-mart guy says it throws the cpu off. I think i'll try my luck with the dealer tmrw morning, sad part is no sooner then i get a key im just dropping the car of to get a fuel line fixed, hell i want even get to drive my baby tmrw really

foxtrot

Royal Smart Person
Dec 19, 2008
USA
family_72209 said:
No part of the key is in the lock cylinder, i figured i could glue it and have them make a copy but the wal-mart guy says it throws the cpu off. I think i'll try my luck with the dealer tmrw morning, sad part is no sooner then i get a key im just dropping the car of to get a fuel line fixed, hell i want even get to drive my baby tmrw really

The CPU? I'm a tech guy but come on a CPU for making keys? That's useless technology! The hardware store still used the old fashond key grinder...

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
If you have the broken piece, make sure you bring it to the dealer. They can't cut a key from the vin on a car that old. If the guy cutting the key knows what he is doing he can look at the broken piece and figure out what the cuts are, lol, or if they still have the old gauge they can figure it out that way. I can't remember if gm stamped the key code on the lock cylinders on these cars though :? .

Likethat

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Apr 27, 2011
If they will not cut the key you can get a new lock from the Zone for like $20 it will come with 2 keys and is pretty easy to install. The 2 tools you need to get to it are around $20 also.

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Should just be a bolt in thing, no need to turn the cylinder to remove it. My keys got kidnapped by my old roomates girlfriend (I thought I lost them). I just removed the steering wheel, lock plate, bolt, and the lock cylinder slid right out (I had to get to work, so that was my best option, lol), that was on my 85 cutlass, btw.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
to remove the cylinder it says in my chilton book "2. place the ignition lock to ON position"

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
You're right, I just looked at the fsm and it says the same (turn to run position)...I don't remember struggling when I removed mine though, of course that was almost 10 years ago, lol. It is possible to remove it with out doing so, but maybe I did foul up the lock cylinder in the process....

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor