ignition switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevy94ss

Apprentice
May 23, 2006
owasso, oklahoma
anybody know or can lead me to a write up on how to change out the ignition switch tumbler(cylinder thing you put the key in). My tabs broke off of mine so i got another one a few years ago but have never put it in. i can get the steering wheel off no problem but then there is a round plate that i cant figure out how to take off. tia

ligoatpar

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2005
Southampton, Pa.
ign. switch

You need a lock plate tool. It has a stem that screws on to the steering shaft, where the nut was. It has a U shaped pc of steel that slides over the stem, then using the suppied nut you tighten the nut to push down on the lock plate that exposes the circlip that holds the plate. Using a pick and or a small screwdriver you push the clip up onto the shank of the tool. You then remove the tool and the lockplate. The lockplate is splined and only goes on one way. Then you continue to disassemble the steering colunm, horn connector, turn signal assy, etc. You may be able to get the tool from Harbor Frieght, or a decent auto parts supplier. (Mac tools and Snap On too).

frtend

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2006
Indiana
Should be able to rent it from most parts stores...Autozone/Pepboys/Advance..etc

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor