I'm new and want to LS swap my 87 Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raymond Griffin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2017
Michigan
Welcome to the site from Houston. That's a pretty Cutlass. Check out some threads in this section. This is a good place to start looking for ideas...

https://gbodyforum.com/forums/g-body-lsx-swap/

It all comes down to budget and what you want. We know that you want 400-430 hp. We know that you want to do an LS swap. We need some more information to help you hone in on a path forward...

1. budget?
2. carb or fuel injection?
3. what transmission?
4. how will you use the car?

I really haven't came up with a budget yet. And as I read up on LS swaps I'm indecisive on carb or F.I. because it seems like the carb is easier to setup but the F.I. is more efficient but more complicated due to the wire harnesses and computers as well cost more. Haven't thought about a transmission yet either. I plan on just cruising, couple or burnouts here and there, push it to 120mph but I don't plan on racing or anything like that.

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Holley has a swap system engineered for the G-body including oil pan, engine mounts, and headers. The Holley stuff is more expensive than say the GM Muscle Car oil pan or the Pacesetter F-Body long tube headers but by all reports, the fitment is exceptional.

It sounds like you need to do some reading and get a better feel for what you want from the car and what your budget limatations are and then we can help steer you in the right direction.

Do you know if you want to go with a manual transmission or automatic? I assume the car has a 307 Olds engine and a 200-4R transmission?

What is your skill level on doing an engine swab, fabrication and wiring?

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Raymond Griffin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 15, 2017
Michigan
Holley has a swap system engineered for the G-body including oil pan, engine mounts, and headers. The Holley stuff is more expensive than say the GM Muscle Car oil pan or the Pacesetter F-Body long tube headers but by all reports, the fitment is exceptional.

It sounds like you need to do some reading and get a better feel for what you want from the car and what your budget limatations are and then we can help steer you in the right direction.

Do you know if you want to go with a manual transmission or automatic? I assume the car has a 307 Olds engine and a 200-4R transmission?

What is your skill level on doing an engine swab, fabrication and wiring?

I want to stick with an automatic and yes it has the 307 not sure or the trans. I have no skills whatsoever only thing I've done was change the alternator lol. I have a cousin and a mechanic who have been fixing on GM cars for 20+ years so they'll basically tell me what to do and step in when they think it's too much for me to handle. I'll never work on it alone though

Sundancer

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2015
Long Island, NY

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
I want to stick with an automatic and yes it has the 307 not sure or the trans. I have no skills whatsoever only thing I've done was change the alternator lol. I have a cousin and a mechanic who have been fixing on GM cars for 20+ years so they'll basically tell me what to do and step in when they think it's too much for me to handle. I'll never work on it alone though
If it has overdrive in it, it has the 200-4R, which is a good trans but will need to be overhauled and beefed up to raise the rpm of the shift points and get it to handle the power level. If your 200-4R only has the BOP (Buick, Olds, Pontiac) bolt pattern, then it won't mate up to the LS engine without an adapter.

You could get a 5.3/4L65E out of a truck relatively inexpensively. If it's out of a well maintained, running truck, then the engine likely wouldn't need an overhaul. Overhauling and beefing up the 4L65E would be a good idea. Put a cam in the 5.3. Use the Holley mounts, oil pan and headers. If you want to go carb, that simplifies putting it together. You just need someone who can tune the carb. Use the truck accessories with the aftermarket brackets that repackage the truck accessory drive. The rest is mostly buy the parts and bolt it together.

Another way to go is to get a 6.0/4L80 out of a 3/4 ton truck or van. With a cam and headers you will definitely be in your desired power range. The 4L80 wouldn't need beefed up. They are very strong. However, either the 4L65E/4L70E or 4L80E will require a transmission controller to shift it if you aren't using a production Powertrain Control Module.

Lots of guys get the engine/transmission/accessories/harness/PCM all from the donor vehicle. The upside with that route is cost. The downside is you must have someone who has some proficiency with wiring and somebody has to tune the computer.

There are a lot of ways to do this. I've just scratched the surface here.

• Agree

Kemper1976

Greasemonkey
Jul 25, 2017
Topeka, KS
Thanks, I was just reading up on the swap and it seems easier to have a carb setup to avoid the computer and wire harnesses.
Welcome to the forum. The LS swaps aren't quite as overwhelming as they may seem. With all the part available, builds and great info in the forums, the swaps are much easier.

I highly recommend going the EFI route. You won't be disappointed. Look forward to seeing some updates on your swap.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor