Im new, I paint and do bodywork

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Am I too late to join this reach-around party?

Welcome!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Something I recently heard of I thought I'd mention.
Sounds like I'm clowning, but this is for real. Some are using fresh scrap carpet in the paint area, Sounds retarded at first till you think about it. Dust control. :rolleyes:

Think about it this way. I go into various customers houses at work. Lets compare an average moderately cleaned house with pets.The one with hard surface floors may produce what looks like tumbleweeds with a breeze in the house. Dust & stuff move freely. The one with all carpet won't, it traps a large amount of dust & contaminants.

Obviously the carpet needs care , maintenance ,& replacement, but I think I explained the point clearly. Owner of SPI paints confirmed that several high end shops as well as part timers are doing it. Better than hosing floor down with water. Jerking hose around or sudden air movements won't throw stuff up into the air;;;;;;;; & into your prize paint job.

• Useful
Reactions: 2 users

87Cuts

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2019
Los Angeles
Something I recently heard of I thought I'd mention.
Sounds like I'm clowning, but this is for real. Some are using fresh scrap carpet in the paint area, Sounds retarded at first till you think about it. Dust control. :rolleyes:

Think about it this way. I go into various customers houses at work. Lets compare an average moderately cleaned house with pets.The one with hard surface floors may produce what looks like tumbleweeds with a breeze in the house. Dust & stuff move freely. The one with all carpet won't, it traps a large amount of dust & contaminants.

Obviously the carpet needs care , maintenance ,& replacement, but I think I explained the point clearly. Owner of SPI paints confirmed that several high end shops as well as part timers are doing it. Better than hosing floor down with water. Jerking hose around or sudden air movements won't throw stuff up into the air;;;;;;;; & into your prize paint job.
Hm.... I have porcelain floors at home and pit bulls so I notice the tumbleweeds for sure. What is this Fresh scrap you speak of? Cognitive dissonance is kicking in... like brand new carpet pieces or recently scrapped carpet?

jlcustomz

G-Body Guru
Nov 22, 2011
Honestly it could be very clean used carpet, though many people find someone like a carpet installer to get them new remenants. Can be pieced together, etc.
could maybe be cool to have on a roll where you could roll it out or out of the way. People also like it for the comfort of standing on doing cut & buff work.

• Useful

Jojo87mc

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2019
Dam she wet I had my mc painted 3 time and still not right 👍

Reactions: 1 user

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
Envirobase is PPG’s waterborne line yes? You guys went from water to solvent?

How those Glasurit clears though?? 😁
yep that's ppg's h20.
yeah we had a management change few years ago,new blood never liked ppg.the boss gave him the keys to city and he brought in glasurit.
it sprays nice,i haven't sprayed the clear since the demo.it proved to be "to expensive for production" :rolleyes: and they've stuffing some cheap down our throats.I'm biased though i use 2021 on my own stuff.a set up's not to expensive,i dig it though.

Reactions: 1 users

87Cuts

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2019
Los Angeles
yep that's ppg's h20.
yeah we had a management change few years ago,new blood never liked ppg.the boss gave him the keys to city and he brought in glasurit.
it sprays nice,i haven't sprayed the clear since the demo.it proved to be "to expensive for production" :rolleyes: and they've stuffing some cheap down our throats.I'm biased though i use 2021 on my own stuff.a set up's not to expensive,i dig it though.

Yeah I trip out when production shops use Glasurit but apparently there’s a few.

2021 is a great clear, Ive sprayed TAMCO’s 2021 copy the kit is just under or around $200 for the reducer, clear, and catalyst. Nice build and high solids.

Reactions: 1 users

87Cuts

Apprentice
Nov 5, 2019
Los Angeles
Honestly it could be very clean used carpet, though many people find someone like a carpet installer to get them new remenants. Can be pieced together, etc.
could maybe be cool to have on a roll where you could roll it out or out of the way. People also like it for the comfort of standing on doing cut & buff work.

Extremely useful suggestion. I may look for a roll out to place over a damp floor. That’s a really clever idea.

I’m a floor wetting mf so I know what it’s like to pick up a nasty hose or feel
My heart stop when I pull it around a wheel and small drips fling upwards.

I’m going to look into this. I stay wetting the floor for now

Yeah I trip out when production shops use Glasurit but apparently there’s a few.

2021 is a great clear, Ive sprayed TAMCO’s 2021 copy the kit is just under or around $200 for the reducer, clear, and catalyst. Nice build and high solids.

Hers a TAMCO 2021 shot I ran on a panel

Attachments

• 22B8FB43-21F8-4D24-B932-D9DB639D1209.jpeg
    22B8FB43-21F8-4D24-B932-D9DB639D1209.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 177
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor