im sick of this (a rant about the aftermarket)

Status
Not open for further replies.

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
it seems like unless your car is a malibu el camino or monte carlo noone really bothers to make parts for your car and even then parts are spotty sometimes.

the ones neglected the most are GPs and most wagons IMO.

i love the bonnevilles too and as few as there are i'd like to own one but i have a sneeking suspicion that they'll never make parts for those either.

yearone.com has had basically the same offerings for g-bodies for years now with no progress of new parts or repro parts...nothing.

its been proven g-bodies are popular so whats the deal?

im growing more and more frustrated with not being able to find parts for my car. why cant i find new 1/4 panels or new door skins for my car? why cant i find new fenders? or the corners that cover the bumper just under the header panel? those are impossible to find since they crack and break if you breath on them wrong. i would like to find new trim for my instrument cluster since the tabs break off so easily from the factory ones.

i understand GP's are not as popular but im seeing practically zero effort to put stuff out for GPs and its annoying.

im almost afraid to drive the car from fear that if i get hit i'll never find all the parts i need to fix it 100%.

I Feel your pain

I Agree the G-Body platform exists more than the malibu,monte,and regal(GN).I myself have a cutlass and grand prix and cutlass weren't designed in those years(Bullst),parts are next to impossible to find.Why?Cause every tom,dick and yes you harry has a monte ss and a gnx.No one ever thinks on of those might sht and get cause the above had power from the factory,and they had factory backin.I Love the dash off a grand prix,i love the body lines of a cutlass...bottom line they are all sitting on the same frame,and they all can sht or get....hmmmm this didnt get anywhere added to the rant! :roll:

Good point. While most mechanical and electronic parts fit everything, body parts do not. I agree there should be more stuff out there. Awhile back I tried to get a sticky thread goin somewhere where everyone can post links to misc place that have parts, knowledge, and whatever other useful info we might know of. Maybe somehow topic/vehicle specific sub categories??? Unfortunately nobody really seems to interested so.....

It does suck that they dont make more parts for these cars, especialy GPs. Not that i dont care about the rest of them but GPs seem to have it the worst. I dont think you can really buy anything new thet is GP specific. One would think you could get things like fenders or grilles, but no go. I like the idea of a special thread for parts sources and i would contribute if i could, but most all of the places i have heard of are listed on here.

More on...

I Mean don't get me wrong alot of the parts are interchangable,but alot isn't either.But what happened to all the motorheads in this world?Sold out?Guess so.I'm not that old only 35,but i remember back when anyone would throw anything big in anything kinda small,whether it be a small or big block in a mopar,buick,or even a fomco.Thats when parts were alive!Try to get headers for a pontiac in a G-Body.Why?No Market.No Market??I Think there is a bunch out there that would buy.I'm Sorry its not a GNX.So why cant i get an antiue auto plate cause i guess they are (or some)? 😳

I have been reading about people looking for Pontiac engine/G-body headers for 15 years on forums and in all the major car mags, yet nobody makes them. There is a demand, so why dont they listen? I have heard that GTO and 2nd gen Fbody headers work with tweaks. Do they? Why should we have to resort to that?

actually...know one has a GNX!.. and g body headers...ever open up a jegs or summit? or do you mean a pontiac powered g body? as far as body parts... i agree 100% my uncle owns a stock car fab shop and you would not believe the solid cars that they cut up. it is a shame!!

clearly im not the only one angry about this.

im wondering if maybe just pestering the G-body parts suppliers that supply sheet metal and the like for monte's and other more popular g-bodies would help any?

i sent a multi four letter word message to yearone about it some time ago and im tempted to tell them off again. they have done little to add more parts for g-bodies period.

im sorry but we cant always go to the junkyard for parts we need. ive been lucky so far and managed to yank 2 excellent condition gauge clusters and some other minor parts but i couldnt find an instrument cluster trim piece as the ones at the junkyard had broken tabs.

how hard is it to come up with the more common parts for all g-bodies? yeah yeah it requires tooling and thats not cheap and i understand that but maybe if they made parts for something other than the monte malibu el camino and the GN people might not want those cars so much. as i suspect that part of it people want those cars cuz they know there are parts for them.

like a digital instrument cluster. now they have one for the cutlass as well as the monte and the like but not the GP. nope, we get ignored as usual. now i like my factory gauges and instruments but its the principle of it for me. its like we're ignored and on purpose. i know door skins for GP's are not that different from other door skins for montes for example....so how hard is it to tool a machine to make them for GPs, 4 door bonnevilles, 4 door cutlasses, 4 door malibus, even the le mans/grand le mans.

like i said before, they've had years to put our something, but they've done nothing.

now i know one site sells fiberglass flat and cowl hoods both pin on and bolt on for GPs and that's wonderful but we need fresh new 1/4 panels door skins and fenders. we need sheet metal.

how about those 1/4 panel extensions made out of plastic. now mine are great but im sure someone out there could use those. i know i need the front bumper corner covers. my only alternative right now is to put on a 2+2 nose from lauren engineering and thats an expensive option simply because noone makes the actual parts i need.

and who couldnt use parts for their console? i know they arent easy to find sometimes. i know the door on those can get messed up and the hinge can give you fits.

a dash would be nice too. not everyone has a crack free dash.

i can think of plenty more parts that are GP specific. the mechanical stuff is easy to find and not a big deal, which makes me keep holding on to my GP hoping that the body and GP specifics parts catch up one day.

dont get me wrong here, its fun going to the junkyard and finding really nice parts and cool rare pieces but its not a reliable source is all.

i think something needs to be done, emails need to be sent on a regular basis until the companies take a hint. i need a new grill and its not easily replaceable.

Again..

G-body-I noticed your in kentucky..lucky u I'm stuck up here in Maine..You think junkyard is possible?NO!I'd buy any g-body for parts in 2 secs,I have a cutlass with a built pontiac motor:Try to find 301 motor mounts good luck,man i could go on all night bout this rant..sorry guys.. 😢

see its worse for guys up north, where rust is worse than it is here. i can say at least my car doesnt have holes in the sheet metal and that fixing the rust in my car is easily done.

not everyone with a g-body and wants to fix it up can say that.

another reason why they need more parts for other than the most popular g-bodies. i dont expect them to make tons of parts for every car, but the more commonly needed parts would be nice though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor