im sick of this (a rant about the aftermarket)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would be willing to pay $150 for a really nice GP grill, but the fact that they are not made is really annoying. And Pontiac Engine/G-body motor mounts, why can't those be made? I still have a SBC in my car because i couldn't find 301 mounts anywhere. I have a set now, but i found them after i spent the money on a 383 i knew i could bolt in. Its just little things like that that annoy me. I know 78-87 GPs are not the only ones treated like this, but i have an 83 so that is what i am going to complain about. I just found a set of dark brown door panels on ebay for my car. I have been looking for these for 16 years!

You all should make a list of stuff you need from G.P.s. A junkyard by me usually has 3 or 4. The bad part is that I have only seen V6 cars and they usually have plenty of rust. When I see them, it does not seem like people are stripping them like a Cutlass or Monte so it might be easy for me to find some of the parts you need.

Let me know, I will take a look.

Right now, they have an 81, 83, 84, 85, and 86.

You can't complain too much, as this same thing has held true throughout the history of classic cars. No more than you or I could reproduce the parts easily, the aftermarket isn't going to produce many parts for the less popular collector cars because they can't do all the tooling and machining at a profit.

You can find just about any part for a 60's Mustang reproduced new. Obviously the same wouldn't hold true for a '70's Maverick. Why? The Mav ain't nearly as popular. That is why with the G bodies you see most of the aftermarket stuff available is for Chevy 2 door Malibus, Montes, and Elcos because they are the most popular of the G's that people restore. The dozens of other makes, models and styles of G's are far less popular.

The rule that applies here is if you want to have a nice less popular model of a car without a world of futility parts wise, find one in as good of condition to begin with to start out. You can still easily find (just about, excluding the exotic models) any of the Pontiac, Olds, or Buick G bodies in near mint condition for $7k or less. Chances are if you buy one of these same cars in ugly condition for $1K, you'll end up putting much more than $7k in to it if you want new sheet metal and everything else cosmetic, if you can even find the stuff or more likely you end up with a body all full of Bondo which has never been something that set well with me on a car knowing it's there.

-UT-

see the only problem with new parts are that no one can afford them unless there is a MASSIVE need for them. for example look up a price of tail lights for a honda civic, then look up the price of a chevy malibu the same year. BIG diffence. supply and demand. it cost money to tool this stuff. after a while the tooling is payed off and they can sell stuff cheaper.

Stoopud said:
Dan - What yard (if you don't mind telling)? If you mean the cars at Pull-a-part, they are picked pretty clean. If you mean a different place, where? I still have a few little pieces I am looking for.

Yes, pull-a-part, the one on the west side. Some of them do get picked pretty clean as far as grills and other outside pieces. I think people usually leave the interiors alone for the most part. I think one recently came in about a month ago, but I have not seen it.

I' a old ford guy at heart even the early mustangs depending the year have some parts no one makes.The wiper switch in my 68 mustang i had to get used you don't want to know what that cost me.Yeah half of the g body has a nice aftermarket other half is the redheaded step child.

dan2286 said:
You all should make a list of stuff you need from G.P.s. A junkyard by me usually has 3 or 4. The bad part is that I have only seen V6 cars and they usually have plenty of rust. When I see them, it does not seem like people are stripping them like a Cutlass or Monte so it might be easy for me to find some of the parts you need.

Let me know, I will take a look.
If you can find anything in dark briar brown for an 83 GP could you let me know. Looking for more door panels[i swear these things are going to make me pull all my hair out!] console lid, and possibly ever seats. The worst part about this color is it was an 83-84 only deal on these cars, so that makes finding parts that much harder. I have been told to just change the color, but i've had this car since i was 14, and i really dont want that extreme of a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor