Impulse buy Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

1evilregal

Comic Book Super Hero
Apr 23, 2009
Greensboro, NC
Looks good, and a great plan coming together! Looking forward to seeing this come together!

Btw, welcome to the forum!

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
yay
Will a 4.8 turn a 4L80E?
They come in 3/4 ton vans. 4.8/80e combos made in turbocharged car swap heaven. My buddy has this exact setup with a hair dryer in his fox mustang. Got kicked out of the local track for running a 9.84@135mph. e85, full interior, weighs 3600lb with him in it. Was turned down to 10 psi boost pressure trying to keep it 10.0 and slower. 4.8 is the money shot motor.

Reactions: 4 users

Tim H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2019
Prospect, PA
They come in 3/4 ton vans. 4.8/80e combos made in turbocharged car swap heaven. My buddy has this exact setup with a hair dryer in his fox mustang. Got kicked out of the local track for running a 9.84@135mph. e85, full interior, weighs 3600lb with him in it. Was turned down to 10 psi boost pressure trying to keep it 10.0 and slower. 4.8 is the money shot motor.
And they're cheap as ever because everyone wants a 6.0 or at least a 5.3
I paid $240 and they guy delivered it to my garage complete with harness and ecu.

I have a cam and springs for it but decided to hold off as i dont want to buy a converter twice. I hear they are not a good fit with a cam and the stock 4l80 converter.

Reactions: 1 user

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
And they're cheap as ever because everyone wants a 6.0 or at least a 5.3
I paid $240 and they guy delivered it to my garage complete with harness and ecu.

I have a cam and springs for it but decided to hold off as i dont want to buy a converter twice. I hear they are not a good fit with a cam and the stock 4l80 converter.
A little soggy for sure. If you like to wait for the next coming of Christ for the rpm/boost to come up then the stock converter will hold a bunch of power, just less than ideal. I ran mine stock before the triple billet Circle D 3600 stall I have now.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
Welcome to the site from Houston. Cool project. Disregard flemming442 (only that post). He's over the LS swap craze. Cool guy though.

• Friendly
Reactions: 2 users

Tim H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2019
Prospect, PA
No worries.
I see peoples point about it being the new fad, but isnt swapping a small block or big block just as played out?
I stick to what i find easy and cheap, and anymore i can sell a small block for a lot more than i can buy an ls for.
If i really wanted people to hate my choices in cars I'd let it slip that I'm an old honda guy and still have 2, though I'm parting the one out soon.

Reactions: 1 users

Turbolq4

Royal Smart Person
Sep 25, 2017
Nampa Idaho
How do you like it? Does it drive fairly normal?
It takes awhile to get used to high stall converters.

Having said that, it's "sticky" meaning that it will actually move the car under pretty light throttle/low (ish) RPM. If I stab the pedal hard it flashes off relatively quickly. When you brake stand it the car will blow well into the 3k+ range without pushing through the brakes. I like it.

• Disagree
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor