Impulse buy Cutlass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tim H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2019
Prospect, PA
I got tired of looking at a flintstone mobile of a nova, and a pile of new panels in the corner that I'll realistically never get around to.
So I picked up a 1984 Cutlass.
55k miles, clean sheet metal except for the bottom edges of the doors and trunk just starting.
Goal is to have a 4.8 and 4l80e in it quickly so I can take the kids on some cruises this summer.

62110740_863746450666523_8731747673310232576_n.jpg

Reactions: 12 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
Welcome ,
doing the LS swap and have it up and running in the next 6 weeks is a tall order. Why not get it up & running with what's under the hood now ? And tackle the swap this winter ?

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
Welcome to the Forum, Tim. Looks like a really good start for a nice cruiser. I'll even give you a "pass" on the LS swap...

Reactions: 1 user

Tim H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2019
Prospect, PA
few reasons:
Previous owner already planned on swapping in a v8 years ago, so the v6 engine is just about ready to pull and missing a bunch of parts. If i'm buying I'm buying towards my swap.
I kept carb and points on the nova long enough to get a taste of them, ready to leave them behind unless I picked up something real nice and original someday.
I already have a 4.8 with computer reprogrammed and harness modified that I was planning on putting in the nova
Already have the 4l80e
Already have my fuel system assembled and running the 4.8 on the stand.

As far as I can tell I'm only short a radiator, exhaust manifolds, trans crossmember, and shortened driveshaft away from a running car.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

85442/86buick

G-Body Guru
Feb 12, 2013
Perth Country , Ontario
well now , sounds like your way ahead than most on this swap..........but what about oil pan & motor mounts ? And of course the all the small bits that will be required.
enjoy

Tim H

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 10, 2019
Prospect, PA
I had an F-body pan for the nova, though it seems most opt for the ctsv. either way I'll make something fit.
I have adapter plates for the small block clamshell mounts that people seem to ahve luck with.
There will always be small bits, local big swap meet starts tomorrow so I'm hoping to knock out the big items there.

Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor