installing a universal spal electric fan relay kit

Status
Not open for further replies.

RELL88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 24, 2010
California
That butt connector splice scares me. The crimp looks bad and there is too much exposed copper on the ends, there should be little to no wire visble, maybe 1/8in exposed or less.

It looks like you tried to crimp it with one of these = big NO! This tool is garbage, like a last resort to even strip wires with it let alone crimp. Will never get a good solid crimp with one.

wire_crimper_stripper-01.jpg

Ideally you would want a ratchet type of crimper with removable dies where it will not release until the connector is fully crimped.

Or at least this, use this crimper with uninsulated crimp connectors. You could take those covered ones you got and cut the covering down the middle with a razor blade and remove the covering. Then crimp the connector.

http://www.amazon.com/Klein-Tools-Insul ... in+crimper

Usually you should solder the ends of the butt connector as well. But just crimping should be ok.

Then you should use some adhesive line heat shrink tubing, the glue inside the heat shrink will melt and create a water tight seal for the connection.

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
red wire to one side of the circuit breaker then another piece of red wire from the other side of the circuit breaker to the battery. Grey/back goes to the installed thermo switch, purple goes to the positive wire on the fan, then you also need to ground that black wire (ground) coming from the fan anywhere on the frame or core support. Lastly the yellow wire needs to go to a switched 12v source. Where are you mounting the relay? you can splice the yellow wire into the brown wire from the alt if you mount it on the passenger side, or to a yellow wire I believe it is from the wiper motor wiring on the driver side. These two only have 12v when the key is in the on position.

cuttin_everything82

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 6, 2013
first of all let me say thanks to every1 that help and commentd on my post .. ive installed the fan successfully.. the only problem i had was the grey wire that was suppose to go to the switch that was installed in my manifold .. but the switch is not working so i grounded it to my frame .. my fan comes on when i start my car and turns off when i pull the key out of ignition. im still using the relay , just no thermoswitch.. ..

80ELCAMINOFLAKE

Comic Book Super Hero
Sep 2, 2010
California So Cal
:wink: Just make sure down the line u get that thermoswitch fixed, u kinda dont want your fans coming on all the time...the motors on the fans will die out quick..a thermosensor is not much, $12-$18 new.. :wink:

FirstClass 383

Master Mechanic
Feb 8, 2013
It's to late from the sounds of things but i would use some heat shrink when ever possible when doing things under the hood,or when ever your splicing wires together, keeps water out and it just looks 100% better/ just a thought for future work

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor