Installing big magnet 6x9's

Status
Not open for further replies.

cutdog815

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 1, 2011
:D
GP4U2NV said:
Ok, guys and gals. I have a 83 Regal Limited. I bought with no radio or speakers.

I purchased 4 inch and 6X9 kicker speakers for it. I bought the adaptors from Crutchfield.

((((((((((PROBLEM))))))))))))))))

The magnet with the adaptor is too large. I have to push the tension rods down and wedge them in. I dont like it. I know that many people say that they are ok that way. I wont do that.

So without buying new speakers, (cant return the $120 kickers) what options? I am NOT afraid to cut the rear deck.

Anyone done this little help. Looking for OEM-esk looking. (i know the grills will show it isnt oem) :blam: :blam: :blam: :blam: :blam: :blam: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

just put some in today took a dremel to the back it work out good :D

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,114
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,083

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
GP4U2NV said:
How much does it push out the seat?

It doesn't push the seat out as the foam on the seatback contours around the speaker and the parcel shelf slips back in place. The only PIA is drilling the new holes in the parcel shelf to bolt the speakers to. In the first pic you can see the backer board of the parcel shelf

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
When I tried doing this 2 years ago I shattered my rear window. When I went to pull the metal away that I had just cut for the hole, I guess it put to much strain on the window and it literally shattered. Newbie mistake :rofl:

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
-83MONTESS- said:
When I tried doing this 2 years ago I shattered my rear window. When I went to pull the metal away that I had just cut for the hole, I guess it put to much strain on the window and it literally shattered. Newbie mistake :rofl:

Yes you have to be careful because the rear windsheild mounts to the package tray. You gotta be careful when cutting holes for new speakers that the vibration does not shatter the glass. In my car I actually had to replace the whole package tray and seatback. You can see in my pics that the grey area is the orig metal and the white is a piece I cut off a donor car ( thx 81grandprix383 ) and panel-bonded back into place

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor