Installing console and floor shifter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike P

Master Mechanic
Aug 7, 2009
Arizona
For what it’s worth I figured I’d post what I just went thru installing a console and floor shift on my 83 El Camino. The truck was originally bench seat and column shift so basically I ended up installing everything from scratch. I couldn’t find any of the parts locally so everything was bought off E Bay to include the console mounting brackets.

I’m using a TH400 and fortunately the shifter I bought was for a 3 speed auto (probably a TH200/250/350) and came with the cable, transmission bracket and shift arm.

floorshifter.jpg

Figuring out the placement of the console itself was pretty straight forward, I was able to tell where it went by the scuff marks it had from the inner seatbelts. From there it was a simple matter to bolt the front console/shifter bracket to the rear of the shifter and locate the shifter as it connects to the console with 2 bolts/screws.

Frontconsolemounting.jpg

Once the shifter was located I tacked its bracket in place, then removed the console, attached the rear bracket to the bottom of the console box, and set the console back in place. I removed the screws holding the rear bracket and carefully removed the console again making sure not to move the rear bracket and once the console was out of the way I welded it in place.

rearbracket.jpg

I figured the placement of the hole for the cable by were the cable curved down to go thru the floor (which turned out to be 3” from the front leg of the shifter). I made the hole 1” in order to be big enough to the cable end to go thru and be able to put in a grommet to seal the hole later.

shifterFbrack.jpg

hole.jpg

As mentioned the bracket and trans lever that came with the shifter probably were from a TH 200/250/350 and while the shift lever fits the transmission the cable bracket does not line up with the pan bolts on the TH400. As I didn’t have any aftermarket brackets and the spacers laying around and didn’t want to wait on ordering one, I modified what I had. I welded the bracket I had to a piece of 1/2" tubing (which spaces the bracket down were it needs to be) and drilled the 2 holes I needed to bolt it to the pan.

barstock.jpg

transbracketinstalled.jpg

The original column linkage connects to the shift lever as it originally did when it was a column shift. This will still turn the column collar when the transmission is shifted so the steering wheel lock, backup lights and dash mounted shift indicator will still work.

Translever.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

Ridgeline

Greasemonkey
Jan 19, 2008
Thanks a million for the post. I have been waiting to see if someone would post the correct dimensions.

79loserbluebu

G-Body Guru
May 9, 2009
Illinois
Did all G-bodies have the bracket between the rear of the shifter and the floorpan? We mocked up where the shifter was going to go and screwed the shifter to the floor and it looks perfectly fine :wtf:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor