Installing the TKX and hit a snag

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scoot-71

Greasemonkey
Nov 13, 2018
Rio WI
I have a tko600, I cut trans tunnel out and raised id it to clear trans, I never actually checked my angles but I must have gotten lucky as I have zero vibrations, I used a modified stock crossmember to clear dual exhaust and moved the trans mount. I also have a 52 F1 Ford that I gotta spend some time on as it does have some kind of vibration from the driveshaft, I hate dealing with driveline angles, It sounds simple but correcting it isnt.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

SSMonteMan

Greasemonkey
Jun 12, 2015
I put a TKX in my SS and had no clearance issues. I did have driveline angle issues but those were resolved with the right trans mount and adjustable upper control arms in the rear.

I can fit my hand all the way around the top of my trans and not hit anything. Clearance was amazing. I went with American Powertrain, though, because I didn't like where the other options put the shifter. I wanted it to come up through the console.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Great possibly on that. Good spot.

I put a TKX in my SS and had no clearance issues. I did have driveline angle issues but those were resolved with the right trans mount and adjustable upper control arms in the rear.

I can fit my hand all the way around the top of my trans and not hit anything. Clearance was amazing. I went with American Powertrain, though, because I didn't like where the other options put the shifter. I wanted it to come up through the console.
Yeah when I installed mine I had clearance issues with the clutch fan making contact with the shroud and the header collectors being closer to the floor. A 1" spacer between the transmission mount and the transmission resolved everything and got my drive line angle back where it was prior to the transmission swap. My TKX is a modified one from Silver Sport that has the shifter in the stock 78-81 4 speed location. My clearance issue was with the shifter to the shifter hump opening. There was one spot to the right and to the rear of the shifter that needed tweaking.

Ugly1

Royal Smart Person
Oct 26, 2021
Lost in the woods of NH
Yeah when I installed mine I had clearance issues with the clutch fan making contact with the shroud and the header collectors being closer to the floor. A 1" spacer between the transmission mount and the transmission resolved everything and got my drive line angle back where it was prior to the transmission swap. My TKX is a modified one from Silver Sport that has the shifter in the stock 78-81 4 speed location. My clearance issue was with the shifter to the shifter hump opening. There was one spot to the right and to the rear of the shifter that needed tweaking.
The use of loving persuasion. If it doesn’t go in with some sort of difficulty something will go wrong in the most Aggravating of ways. Then you end up fully disassembling it again for some minor thing. Think of it as the art of building a car.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I took it for a 35 minute drive the other night. I had it up to 75 mph with no vibrations or rubbing noises. The only thing to do now is address some sound deadening issues around the shifter hump.
I used the Spicer calculator and played around with the pinion angle to get the u joint operating angles as close as I could. This is what ended up working for me.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221112-164228_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221112-164228_Chrome.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 76
Reactions: 2 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
6 deg is too much. Universal joints are not constant velocity joints. In one revolution they will speed up and slow down like 2 times. This creates a humming type of vibration.

Also pinion up is no good since the rear housing wants to point up during acceleration. If anything, it should be down a bit. Ideal 1 to 2 deg max. With a matching angle at the front.

Keep the rockers out of the equation. It's trans output in relation to driveshaft. Then driveshaft to pinion shaft.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
6 deg is too much. Universal joints are not constant velocity joints. In one revolution they will speed up and slow down like 2 times. This creates a humming type of vibration.

Also pinion up is no good since the rear housing wants to point up during acceleration. If anything, it should be down a bit. Ideal 1 to 2 deg max. With a matching angle at the front.

Keep the rockers out of the equation. It's trans output in relation to driveshaft. Then driveshaft to pinion shaft.
Jesus! Have you even read the entire thread??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor