intake manifold removal/installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
megaladon6 said:
so they cross left-right and are positioned at the front and rear?sounds like a coolant passage :? are you sure the gaskets/intake are for the same/right engine?
if you can post pics of everything.

no they are in the middle next to a single intake port. positive the gaskets are for this engine and intake.

The intake part# is 5486

This is the port on the intake:
IMG_1163-1.jpg

There is actually two separate ports. On the stock gasket I took off the hole hole fits around both of these ports:

IMG_1413.jpg

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the port that you have circled on the intake does that not come to a dead end and is actually closed

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
I am not sure. I tried reaching in there as far as I could and didn't come to an end. I put then manifold on, guess I'll see if it works. If not well It won't take me too long to get if off again. :roll:. Why do you think it would come to an end?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I thinking they may be a dead end since without a provision for an egr they make no sense. Plus after taking a look at the gaskets they tell you to use they have no opening at that port so it ridiculous to think you have to cut a hole in the gasket...something just doesn't add up...

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
yea it is very strange. I just don't understand why there would be a port in intake at all. These edelbrock intakes don't come with egr and they have never made one with egr. The instructions call for this gasket or the oem. well the oem has provisions obviously for egr

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
did you do any research before you bought the intake? I would just use the felpro gasket as it is and install the intake. How big is that carb?

turbo78

Greasemonkey
Nov 1, 2009
billings, montana
it would still work and not create any problems in the long run. i guess this is about the first time i have evr actually seen anyone put an aftermarket intake on a v6. cool.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
it definately looks like the exhaust crossover, i (also) don't understand why the $%^& e-brock would put that in there.
edit: unless :idea: the intake is set up to be emissions legal in california but the gaskets are cut for non-emissions applications.

83cutlasssedan

Greasemonkey
May 16, 2007
Manitoba, Canada
Well got it all done today. She's up and running finally. Everything seems to be working pretty good no water or vacuum leaks that I can tell. She started up on the first couple of cranks with no pump of gas-alot faster than my old dualjet and no cold stall. Picked up a a couple of new chrome airfilter assy-one 10x2 and a 14x3. Couldn't get the 14" to fit so I guess I got to go with the 10". Took it for a drive and the intake and carb is alot louder than the old dualjet when you stomp on it. It almost sounds a little like it's bogging down at wot. No hesitation or anything just has that bog sound. I was wondering if I have to change the jets and rods for it to run properly with my little 231. It's a 500cfm carb. Or could it be my fuel pump is on it's last legs? The fuel filter I bought is clear and it never fills up all the way with fuel, only about half of it fills up. Should it be full? Anyway, thanks to all those that shared there insight the last few days, it was a big help. I need a nap.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
good job....the filter won't be full since the filter is larger then the fuel line...as far as the jets you'll need to check that but reading the plugs isn't always a telltale sign now since they have dumped ethanol in the gas as a filler..one of my clients runs an emission center so I just run my car in there to check it out..

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor