Interior dye

Status
Not open for further replies.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
Third thing

The pieces used in the interior were supplied by various vendors, who may or may not have sourced their materials from the same place. Also, Items like the molded vinyl console lid are going to be slightly different in color than the molded plastics of the trim pieces, or the heat-shrink vinyl used on the dash, or the vinyl yardage used in seats and door panels.

Differences in materials can affect color match but suppliers are held to a strict standard and are required to use colorimeters to ensure color match. You can match color between components that have different materials. We do it every day. Delta E is the metric used to measure color shift with a colorimeter. If it’s out of specification you adjust the concentrate pigment loading. At the beginning of any new launch program there is a lot of development work on the pigment to ensure color harmony throughout the interior.

• Informative
Reactions: 5 users

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I get what you're saying regarding color match when manufactured, but they don't all react to exposure to the environment the same way over time.

I have also unwrapped new replacement OE parts that were supplied in color that didn't even match each other, (although they were exterior moldings)

Nothing made by man is perfect, but the OEs (or their suppliers) do a good job. All bets are off on aftermarket replacements, though.

IMO

Reactions: 2 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
We had a similar discussion, i went to the oldest automotive paint store I. The Detroit area, I had a can of interior dye and interior paint, the paint was for metal and hard plastic. There is a diff, oth we’re awesome, unlike the SEM crap that comes rite off.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    980 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
We had a similar discussion, i went to the oldest automotive paint store I. The Detroit area, I had a can of interior dye and interior paint, the paint was for metal and hard plastic. There is a diff, oth we’re awesome, unlike the SEM crap that comes rite off.
Ive been using SEM products for a number of years. So far Ive never had any come off but with the exception of the Bulldog adhesion promoter I use all SEM products to prep whatever Im spraying. The owner of the upholstery shop that did the work on my 81 interior made a comment about a door panel that I brought him to test fit the upper. He asked me who sprayed it. I told him I did. He took 2" tape and rubbed it on the area where the carpet goes. Then he ripped it off. I guess he thought the color would come off on the back of the tape. It didnt. Its all about the prep.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
He sprayed it on new PCs. It comes off. I’m not much on rattle can crap.
one problem and you see it at shows, the i teror PCs all didn’t match, these guys spray the whole interior so it’s a dipped look. Looks bad. I found a headliner that was a shade off, it looks factory.
me, I hunt down nOS PCs, Only repop is the headliner, you can’t find a GM with good foam, I found a GM camel pkg tray, The sprayed one looks like crap. The vinyl does t match the cardboard If you look at a real nos pc.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Late to the party on this one. Now I'm giving a view from a PPG user. I've used PPG lacquer & their Performance Products/One Source "colorant" to recolor hard & soft parts. I've had good luck with the PPG stuff with no issues. The lacquer has been used on the steering column & the colorant on plastic & vinyl parts. All have been done over 10 years ago & still holding up while dealing with rough handling in the bins I store them in. My steering wheel has been exposed to what ever around it since done. The color is close enough as noted nothing will match 100% (just like when new.) Between SEM or PPG, having the required supplies for cleaning & prep will the key to make it work. Keep in mind nothing is 100% guarantee but as long as you folow the P-sheets/instructions you should be able to get the parts done to "match". As for what Dixie sells I knew years back when they were located in the south they sold PPG colorant which was the same as I picked up locally. Not sure who they use now. But I would recomend finding a local paint shop & take the color code off the cowl plate to have them mix it up. Again as noted, nothing will be a 100% match. Another thing to keep in mind is the low gloss level that is needed depending on the parts location. Nothing should be shiny/light reflective for safety reasons (dashes, A pillars, steering column for example.) This is slightly different than body work painting.

Reactions: 2 users

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
Here’s some nOS camel, note the real mat next to the repop crap. note the shade diffs.
the repop mat looks like almond bonless chicken. It is from China after all. Lol

Attachments

• 70E0C872-146C-4823-B8D1-52B362CA4D9D.png
    70E0C872-146C-4823-B8D1-52B362CA4D9D.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
Last edited:

Lukeschwtz

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 13, 2018
I have used SEM products numerous times, they have the best products available on the market for automotive interior repair. Vinyl Pro of western PA will custom mix any color you need and have all the prep products also.

Burd

Greasemonkey
Apr 7, 2021
Detroit
I’ve used OER cans, good match in camel, goes on very easy. I’ve never used it on my car so I don’t know how well it holds up.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 84
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor