Intermittent temperature light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geesie

Master Mechanic
Feb 15, 2008
San Diego
Have a 1984 Regal, 231, all stock parts. I recently (within the last month) got it running right for the first time. I have noticed that every so often, the temperature light will fade on, then go back off. It doesn't come on bright, it's like there's a rheostat on it and it goes from off to about halfway bright slowly, then fades back out. It doesn't do this most of the time and it usually only does it for the first couple miles of a drive when it does happen.

Since it's so intermittent, I can't reproduce it in the driveway to look for a problem. The radiator doesn't leak and the water pump is only a couple years old. Ideas?

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I'd check the connection at the sending unit and make sure it's clean and secure....

JESSE

Master Mechanic
Nov 21, 2007
GULFPORT,MS
temp light

if i remember right all gm warning light's (oil pressure and coolant) use a grounding circuit. if i got this right this means that a small amount of voltage is sent to the sender, the sensor is the ground. that means that the sensor is open when cold as the temp rises the sensor grounds out causing the light to come on ...your problem could be a bad sensor, thats the first thing i would look at!!!! you can check system by turning on ignition and disconnecting sensor grounding out wire the light should come on bright. also look for a skined out or rubbing wire. good luck :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor