IROC rim question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

79 SkyBu

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 19, 2009
Has anyone hear of IROC rims being stamped for front and back mounting? I'm looking at getting a pair for my 79 Malibu for cheap. Any input would help.

Thanks again for ya'll's help!

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
OEM 16" IROC are stamped front and rear because the backspacing is different. IIRC the fronts are 4.75 BS and the rears are 5.25 BS. Fronts may work on a "G" with a 3/8" to 1/2" spacer. Rears would require about a 1" spacer. I passed on a very cheap set because I didn't want any part of a wheel spacer, so a buddy bought them for his 2WD S10. Aftermarket repros come in various offsets, so you can match them up to your needs. Anything over 4 inch backspacing on a "G" is possible trouble.
Bill

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
'Front' IROC wheels will fit your Bu at all four corners. If you end with a 'rear' pair, a set of 3/4" thick adapters will be all you need.
See below my partially assembled SS back in '04. At the time the 'front' wheels (0 offset) were on the rear axle and the 'rear' wheels (16 mm offset) were mounted on front along with B-body spindles and 12" brakes. The wheels are now mounted on the intended ends of the car after replacing the spindles and the adapters are correcting for the offset at the rear end.
115036451.jpg

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
i know i may sound like a noob asking this but what is IIRC?

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
pimplogic said:
i know i may sound like a noob asking this but what is IIRC?
If
I
Recall
Correctly

pimplogic

Master Mechanic
Dec 25, 2009
:blam: see n00b

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Google is a noob's best tool. :lol: Thats what I used to look up all those abreeviations :roll:

billyjack

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2009
Western PA
Clutch_Grabwell said:
'Front' IROC wheels will fit your Bu at all four corners. If you end with a 'rear' pair, a set of 3/4" thick adapters will be all you need.
See below my partially assembled SS back in '04. At the time the 'front' wheels (0 offset) were on the rear axle and the 'rear' wheels (16 mm offset) were mounted on front along with B-body spindles and 12" brakes. The wheels are now mounted on the intended ends of the car after replacing the spindles and the adapters are correcting for the offset at the rear end.

Thanks for jumping in. When I saw the thread go all day without a reply, I posted what little I knew just so 79SkyBu would know that they are not exactly a bolt-on. Any part is a bad deal, no matter how cheap, if it doesn't fit.

Bill

khan0165

Royal Smart Person
Jul 14, 2008
Ontario, Canada
DSC05280.jpg

I am using a full set of IROC wheels (both front and back).

Backspacing:
Fronts: 4.75"
Backs: 5.25"

So, since the frame rails on the back of our cars are so close to the outside, I am using the Fronts on the back, with a 3/8" spacer, just to be safe. Although, you may not need a spacer. And I am using the Backs on the front, with 1" spacers.

And as someone said earlier, anything more than 4" backspacing may cause trouble on our G-bodies. So you need to be careful with this number, and also be causous of the sidewall buldge of the tire. Forexample, my 245/50R16 tires are just 3/8" away from rubbing on my frame rails. If I were to use 255/50R16s, they may not fit, and I would need a thicker spacer.

Another thing to consider is front tire rub when turning. With the 245/50R16s, I get rubbing at full turning... You may need to try skinnier tires, like 225s or 215s. Or use a thicker spacer.

Hope this helps...

jackbootedthug

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 27, 2009
Massachusetts

Attachments

• cutlass front drv wide.JPG
    cutlass front drv wide.JPG
    949.7 KB · Views: 3,301
  • cutlass psngr sd.jpg
    cutlass psngr sd.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 6,954
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor