IROC Wagon Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Blake442 said:
The carpet should be the same as far as the floor pan goes between 2, 4 and 5 door G-bodies.
Where you might have an issue is having enough extra carpet to fill the gap along the corners of the rear seat cushion.
On 2-doors this area isn't an issue since the 1/4 interior panels butt up to the seat, but on sedans and wagons, this area is exposed when the rear door is opened.
So make sure you don't cut your carpet too short!
Thanks Blake!
Good point, man. When I removed the old OE carpet, it had square filler patches of carpet on each side stapled to the existing carpet. I know they leave a bit extra carpet to facilitate fitting and trimming.
Perhaps when I order the carpet, I can request an extra piece for that purpose. I already disposed of the old carpet, so I have no reference point. No big deal.

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well, I have been working on the wagon (not that anyone could notice) a little now that the weather is finally cooled down. I know, the folks in the East are preparing to store their cars and the folks in the West, we’re preparing ours for the streets.

Don’t have a lot to report. Been collecting more parts and making trips to the powder coater. Also been getting my 63 Impala SS ready for the road. Got rid of the Q-Jet intake the fellow I built the car for had to have and now have a GM performance intake freshly powder coated ready to install along with a Holley and a dual snorkel air cleaner. At least I’ll have something nice to drive this winter to keep the blonde off my case.

In the interim, I did paint the upper garnish molding for the interior of the wagon. Looks really light in the photos but will look just right in the car.

Thought I’d better post something before my post dropped off into the abyss.

I suppose I could have at least washed the stupid thing before posting.

Scott. ...

:arrow: :roll: :arrow: :shock: :arrow: :wink: :arrow:

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Scott,
That's a super nice '63 Impala SS...I love it!
What engine is in it, original 327?..
A friend of mine, years back, had an original '63 Impala SS, 409 4-spd car. It was burgundy metallic. I don't know what the color was called. He regrets selling it, like his '69 Chevelle SS 396 convertible. :roll:

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Thanks everyone. You're too kind. Probably shouldn't have posted it my build thread but what the hey.

It's the original 327 bored forty over with a steel crank, pink rods, aluminum heads and intake and a 780 Holley DPDF. It's backed up by an original Muncie M22 Rock Crusher from a 70 Chevelle SS. It's not how I would have built the motor for me (low compression) but I'm sure it will be just fine. Remember now, I build this car frame up for a good friend of mine then he lost interest. I couldn't stand to see it go to somebody else so I bought it. Cars been done five years or more and never been lit yet.

It's not the original Chevrolet 63 Impala red, that particular red was darker, not as red if you will. This car is really red and like I alluded to, I really should have washed it befoire posting photos. The horse is out of the barn now. You get the idea.

Thanks again for the props. ...

ssbrewskyaz

Master Mechanic
Dec 29, 2010
New River, Arizona
Well, I worked on the 63 the last two weekends and this weekend I couldn’t stand how disorganized the shop had become so that’s kinda what I spent Saturday doing. At least most of my tools are back in their respective places.

The car hasn't been cleaned up yet but you can kinda get the idea. I still have to replace the coil bracket with one form a ZL2 car so it's angled away from the air cleaner base otherwise it hits. Think I've decided on a vent to put in the extra valve cover hole, we'll see how I feel about it tomorrow when I look at it again.

Couple of photos of the 63, remember, this thing is covered with five years of dust and has never been lit. ...

SEMA is coming up week after next and I’ll once again be asking the weather-strip guys where our G-Body run channel and miscellaneous other trim parts are. Not sure what the excuse will be this year but who knows, on the positive side, I may get surprised. Not holding my breath though.

Got some of my parts back from the powder coater and sticker shock to boot. Guess I never really did the math before I dropped the stuff off, I’ll try not to do that again.

Sunday was nice so I finished a couple of little projects and put them on the done cart. First off was the smog pump. Finally got the serpentine pulley refinished and installed on the pump.

Noticed something else when I was trying to figure out why I didn’t already have the serpentine smog pump pulley but had all the rest of the serpentine pulleys. Apparently, some of the Tuned Port engines had a serpentine belt but still used a “V” belt for the smog pump and another accessory. The lower pulley had one serpentine pulley on the outside and two “V” belt pulleys on the inside. Apparently the early L98 IROC’s used both belts and at some point, we changed to one serpentine belt. Not sure what can of worms I opened but I’ll know soon enough. Did not get a photo unfortunately.

So here’s a couple photos of the smog pump all dolled up and ready for no duty (guts are removed).

On the exhaust I decided to have the manifolds ceramic coated but not polished. The outer shields will be polished to provide the necessary contrast. I did detail out the upper tube where the diverter valve bolts on just for something different. In the meantime, I need to keep my dirty meat hooks off of them until the shields are on or they get heated up and cured otherwise they appear to stain easily.

Well then, That's it for this weekend. Hope you all had as much fun as I did.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Are those 1.5" primaries? They look tiny.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor