Is anyone else shocked/not shocked or confused about the current G body market and prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

87National

G-Body Guru
Apr 15, 2009
eastern SD
Its no surprise many GN fanboys are also LS fanboys, just two peas in a pod.

I have not seen this.....most of the longtime turbo buick guys despise the LS. Just go on turbobuick.com and mention that you are thinking about LS swapping your GN. See what kind of reaction you get.....

• Haha
  • Scared
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
I have been into g body cars for literally about 25 years now, mostly regals, a few cutlass’s including my 442. I have never went any stretch of time without owning one and constantly buying and selling parts, parts cars, whole cars and whatever else. I literally search the country on a regular basis ebay, craigslist, search tempest, facebook and anywhere I can find for g bodies. Heck, parts cars are selling for good amounts of money. I have not seen a decent parts car for less than 1000 in awhile and that’s going to be a beat to crap no title car. What I am finding, complete car prices are going through the roof which I totally saw coming years ago and have been preparing for it. They really are bringing good cash! Good for sellers, sucks for buyers but it’s the way of the world. Another thing I am seeing, not allot of folks buying parts locally which was booming just a few years ago where I am from. What I do keep seeing is allot of people that do not realize where the market is now, people constantly bashing prices and talking trash on what the cars are not only being listed for but actually selling for. Blaming the car auctions and comparing everything to the market 3-5 years ago. I have seen maybe a handful of g bodies in salvage yards in the last 5 years and they are usually ruined and whatever is still good is gone within a day of getting in there. I searched pick and pulls data base for regals the other day and the only cars showing up were a few in California. I just had a guy telling me it was nuts what a guy listed his rough 85 GN astro roof car for, I just paid within 1500 for the same car but with T tops. As most know, if they are on here much, I searched and searched and searched and then searched a whole bunch more for a rust free T top regal shell and I am nearly convinced that finding a rust free t top shell and heck, even a hard top car is few and very far in between in todays world. The GN I have now needs allot of rust repairs but was a mostly complete car so I am working with what I got, I’m sick of searching, sick of driving half way across the country on wild goose chases. Moral of the story and this is purely my opinion and observations, these cars are now worth allot more than most realize. I think the less than financially well off folks are bashing everyones prices because they simply can not afford the hobby anymore and that is unfortunate for them but it’s no different than it was for my dads generation and the cars of their era. For the rest of us, at least for me, it makes me feel allot better about dumping a large amount of cash to build cars that assuming they are done tastefully and correct will hold value very well. Maybe I am reading the market all wrong? Thoughts?

Again, this is my observation, thoughts, and opinion so please don’t light me up if you think different. I am looking for a discussion, not a argument
I have been rebuilding a 79 Cutlass as close to stock as possible and I am seeing parts harder to find and costing more money than 5 years ago. My rebuild is going on 7 years now.

• Scared
Reactions: 2 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
I have been rebuilding a 79 Cutlass as close to stock as possible and I am seeing parts harder to find and costing more money than 5 years ago. My rebuild is going on 7 years now.

Your spot on with the parts. Being a collector of NOS parts for many years now, its almost safe to say, those days are almost dried up! And by chance you actually find NOS parts, the market is brining absolute insane prices, or at least "asking" insane prices, weather they get it or not is another story. This situation has actually been good for the aftermarket parts business, and in SOME rare cases, the parts have upgrades to the NOS flaws. Given example, the center caps to our beloved regals early to mid 80's with the aluminum wheels, round "pop in center caps"...They now reproduce the exact cap with revised retaining ring on the back of the cap, INSTEAD of the multiple tab OEM one that break off the very 1st time you remove the cap...just one given example of where sometimes, remanufactured aftermarket parts suppliers have worked out flaws GM didn't have time to...now if your talking weather stripping or seals, yeah, NOS IF you can find them is the way to go.

• Informative
  • Wow

white85

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 2, 2020

Not mine but something you don’t see a lot of 81 Cutlass Diesel.

Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019

Not mine but something you don’t see a lot of 81 Cutlass Diesel.

Even though the Oldsmobile V8 diesels were troublesome, I still have a heart for them and get excited when I see one. Thanks for sharing!!

• Wow

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
I have heard the diesel cars are desirable for engine swaps in states with emission laws, the diesels did not have the same rules in the 80s so you can swap them for any engine and not deal with jumping through hoops. That may have changed over the years, we had a discussion about that on this forum a decade or so back

DJHull

Master Mechanic
Apr 28, 2015
Lansing, Mi
I have heard the diesel cars are desirable for engine swaps in states with emission laws, the diesels did not have the same rules in the 80s so you can swap them for any engine and not deal with jumping through hoops. That may have changed over the years, we had a discussion about that on this forum a decade or so back
I hope the never enact emission laws or look under my Cutlass!??????

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
I have not seen this.....most of the longtime turbo buick guys despise the LS. Just go on turbobuick.com and mention that you are thinking about LS swapping your GN. See what kind of reaction you get.....

Or a Hellcat swap.

• Haha
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor