Is anyone else shocked/not shocked or confused about the current G body market and prices

Status
Not open for further replies.

gbodytoys

G-Body Guru
May 1, 2014
Detroit, MI
Well now... as a former Turbo Buick owner turned LS snob I feel triggered by this comment!

In my opinion the only thing that makes a car superior is its time slip/lap time and/or the amount of miles it gets driven each year (because stone chips are the greatest trophies).

I agree. Data can make something superior, time slips (drag strip or any other race). Our society is based on these things though. Think about a guy with "Forgiato" wheels that are $1,500 or more each, he may see a guy with $1,000 wheels for the set and laugh. He can't articulate to the guy why his wheels are better, he just knows that they cost more. He can't tell me the production process, the materials, etc... that can just say, my wheels are "Forgiato," same with Rolex or anything else.

LS means what? If you have more HP/TQ or you get better MPG, then tell me that. I believe almost any engine platform (within reason) can be built to outrun any other platform, but LS might be one of the best ways to do it right now.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
LS means what? If you have more HP/TQ or you get better MPG, then tell me that. I believe almost any engine platform (within reason) can be built to outrun any other platform, but LS might be one of the best ways to do it right now.

There is a really detailed break-down comparing the engineering advantages of the Gen I SBC vs. the Gen III/IV LS in HOTROD this month, it is hard to argue the benefits of the keeping the SBC. HOWEVER! As I have mentioned before most people have no reason to need more than 450-500hp at the wheels in an analog (no traction control or nannies) street car, and that figure is easily achieved with ANY engine and a little planning and ingenuity. A box-stock Vortec 350 with a cam and a centrifugal supercharger will make that power. BOP 455s with the same? All day. Series II or III Buick 3.8L? Moar boost. Hell, put a turbo on anything and it is bound to pick up 100-150hp with next to no effort.

The litmus test is how well the car performs in YOUR hands... the machine is nothing without the man. Don't tout your estimated power, or your dyno sheet, or what a magazine or someone else with the same combo ran - none of that is impressive.

WHAT DID YOU DO WITH YOUR CAR!?!

This is why I love Drag Week because the results are indisputable.

Reactions: 5 users

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019
And now everyone understands why I dumped my Turbo Buick (and residual parts stock) a few years ago for a relative song and ran (!). The vast majority of the established long standing personalities associated with these cars are getting very old and tiresome (self-proclaimed and touted "gooroos") sheeple with limited intellectual flexibility - which is why they are the PERFECT collector car for asshats who want to buy into perceived exclusivity and pander to the egos and pad the pockets of others for "approved parts".

Generally speaking I prefer the regular G-body owner who bought an entry-level car and made it their own through years of hard work and innovation. That includes the dude who gets an old woody wagon and expends a lot of effort/expense having a few components remade/refurbished just to get the car on the road (nothing but love, CaliWagon83).

When is this 4th coffee going to kick in?!

Well said! I guess im an oddity, purchasing mine because of the love of the car, and once I seen how the "community" of GN and Turbo owners are, and what they "think" they represent, made me distant myself. The arrogance and self proclaimed status, demeaning all those who don't own one, and even turning on themselves at times, doesn't represent who I am or want to be associated with, hence why i came to this awesome forum. Its too bad that these cars are stigmatized like this because of people's lack of respect for others and their beloved rides. To me, what makes a true car enthusiast is the love and respect for others and their rides too, perhaps the sentimental value and history to what their prized possession means to each individual. So many shallow minded GN owners not able to see past their own nose. Happy I'm not one of them, RESPECT is KEY!!

• Friendly
  • Winner
Reactions: 4 users

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
Well said! I guess im an oddity, purchasing mine because of the love of the car, and once I seen how the "community" of GN and Turbo owners are, and what they "think" they represent, made me distant myself. The arrogance and self proclaimed status, demeaning all those who don't own one, and even turning on themselves at times, doesn't represent who I am or want to be associated with, hence why i came to this awesome forum. Its too bad that these cars are stigmatized like this because of people's lack of respect for others and their beloved rides. To me, what makes a true car enthusiast is the love and respect for others and their rides too, perhaps the sentimental value and history to what their prized possession means to each individual. So many shallow minded GN owners not able to see past their own nose. Happy I'm not one of them, RESPECT is KEY!!

I find GN fanboys and LS fanboys being identical in their behavior of expressing their perceived superiority and complete disdain of all other engine platforms. Its no surprise many GN fanboys are also LS fanboys, just two peas in a pod. Both groups often express no respect to others. I even see GN guys go on to Monte Carlo forums to troll and shitpost as well as LS guys crashing old gen discussion threads for purposes of hijacking, derailing, or plain old shitposting.

• Haha

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I find GN fanboys and LS fanboys being identical in their behavior of expressing their perceived superiority and complete disdain of all other engine platforms.

I don't see the LS crowd as an issue on GBF but there are definitely some very immature and ignorant personalities on LS1TECH.com. There are many self proclaimed experts there and too many young guys in their 20's that think they are all that.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
I don't see the LS crowd as an issue on GBF but there are definitely some very immature and ignorant personalities on LS1TECH.com. There are many self proclaimed experts there and too many young guys in their 20's that think they are all that.

I agree GBF is well behaved compared to most other forums. The old Turbo Buicks Forum was a real shitshow at times.

lilbowtie

Comic Book Super Hero
Jan 7, 2006
Canton Mi
Is anyone else shocked/not shocked or confused about the current G body market and prices

Not really, it's just like buying a new car - you buy it cause you want it and you don't expect to make money on it when you sell it. You have to consider the market, kids now days and I will say young adults think the G bodies are ugly. I have 4 kids (older) 3 thinks there ugly and one likes them. That is the future market or buyers for the G bodies. You are always going to have that person that has to have that car and offer you good money for one. The Barrett has also fogged sellers minds as to what they think there car is worth. In my years I have gone to look at a lot of MINT G bodies only to be disappointed. I also think it's amazing what people want for junk that I wouldn't take if it was given to me.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The paint was generally crappy, the body fit was hit or miss, and it's amazing how fast the cars can degenerate if you use them at all. Or even if not.

Kinda sad actually. I own G-body cars because I really LIKE the way they look. I don't like ALL the G-body cars' looks, though. But the 2-door coupes without the aero stuff looks nice IMO. The aero stuff reminds me of the 3rd gen F-bodys. I know why they did it, but it never flipped up my skirt.

The point is, when I see a clean G-body car and its well taken care of, it commands my attention. I'm not going to rod out my G-bodies and treat them like a dirt tracker, but I am going to quit worrying so much about them when I drive them. They'll never be worth anything and I never expected them to. It's one of those I have them, I like them, and if you don't , that's your problem. But for cruising around (slowly) in comfort, just try that in another body style.

You know what else is really cool about the G-body? It has a big transmission tunnel and a typical V8 cradle up front that is fairly universal. So you can throw any drivetrain you want into them and if it fits, it ships. So even the old-school HP junkies can have their way.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

blk7gxn

Royal Smart Person
Feb 7, 2019

Not really, it's just like buying a new car - you buy it cause you want it and you don't expect to make money on it when you sell it. You have to consider the market, kids now days and I will say young adults think the G bodies are ugly. I have 4 kids (older) 3 thinks there ugly and one likes them. That is the future market or buyers for the G bodies. You are always going to have that person that has to have that car and offer you good money for one. The Barrett has also fogged sellers minds as to what they think there car is worth. In my years I have gone to look at a lot of MINT G bodies only to be disappointed. I also think it's amazing what people want for junk that I wouldn't take if it was given to me.

WELL SAID!! (y)....I TOO have over paid for certain vehicles, why? Because I wanted it! That simple. I din't go look at the vehicle, then sit in my vehicle blogging all day comparing prices and value charts from 20 years into the future and listening to thousands of opinions, why!? because at the end of the day, it comes down to what fit me, The car was available, its what I wanted...I PURCHASED IT! Money I earned and will gladly spend my way. In life, no matter what you do, SOMEONE will disagree, so do what makes you happy within the confinements of the law and morality. THAT SIMPLE!

Reactions: 1 user

Gonzo1970

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2018
Not shocked, nor confused.

They made, literally, Millions of the things across all platforms. Some rarer than others from a make/model standpoint (Grand Prix are harder to find than say, Cutlass), some rarer than others from a Optioned standpoint (83/84 Hurst Olds, 442, GN, etc.)

I wanted a GP, specifically, because I liked them. My neighbor bought one when I turned 16, and I fell in love with it. Loved them ever since.

I got into a position where I could go get one, so the search began.

If I wanted a Cutlass, I would have had one within 48 hours.
If I wanted a Cutlass in Good Shape, I would have had one within a few weeks.
If I wanted a 442 in good shape, I would have had one within 6 months.

But, I wanted a Grand Prix, LE, Two-Tone, Buckets, Console, Preferrably Silver/Gray with Gray interior, so it took... literally... years.

I found the burgundy's.. I found the Blue's.. I found the Black/Tan's.. I found the Hoopdies, I found the Rust Buckets, I found the chicano paint jobs with nekkid women.. I found the back yard hotrods with the hood cut and a big block shoved in..

I almost settled for a White one with Blue Bench interior. I almost settled for a Silver one with Gray Bench interior.. But I'm stubborn.

My years of stubbornness paid off. One owner, completely documented, original window sticker, build sheet, and title.. all with the owners name on them. 51k miles, exactly the colors, options, year, model, etc... $2k.

Been offered $5k so many times I quit counting. $7k twice, and $9k once. (The $9k gave me pause.. if it was $10k, Im not sure I would still have it right now).

Point being, they're out there.. The pickier you get, the harder it is... But you ain't buying these cars to make money off of.. and everything on the planet is for sale, for the right price. Someone comes along with $10k in their pocket, shes probably gone.. and Ill go find something else.

Me? I'm going to play with mine.. Im not leaving it stock, but have the habit of keeping everything to "go back" to stock. I put a nice Grant Wood Steering wheel on it... I still have the original. Im replacing the console and shifter with an Impala console and B&M Hammer shifter, but keeping the originals.. if I go to the 6.6L 400 Poncho I want to put in it (after 3.73 Posi, and the 200-R4 built to withstand it) I'll keep the stock 305.. Only thing I don't have from stock is the Rally II's which are a dime-a-dozen (and I kinda got into a pinch with money and medical bills at the time, so I cut them loose). But this is nothing I ever intended to sell, so I really don't care about aftermarket pricing.. Doesn't mean someone couldn't come along with enough money tho...

I bought it because I love the car.
The nice side-perk I didn't expect was Everyone Else loving it too.. Literally, one of three things happen Every Day. Seriously.
1) I get told "nice car" (in one form or another.. nice ride, or.. the latest was Nice Whip.. and that took me a minute)
2) I get asked if I would sell it or get money offered.
3) Someone wants to talk about the G-Body they had "way back when..."

That's the beauty of it.. It's not about the money.

-Gonz

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor