Is Hyundai Finally Making Something You Would Actually WANT?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Is there a little hostility around here? Can't we all be nice?

itsnotanova

Master Mechanic
Aug 27, 2008
Bastrop,Tx
You guys can fight all you want about asian vehicles but isn't calling tha S10 a piece of junk on Gbody forum kind of like calling your kid stupid or your mom ugly. The S10 is basically a Gbody. Those two vehicles have more in common than anything else.

dan2286

Royal Smart Person
Mar 25, 2008
Cleveland, Ohio
itsnotanova said:
You guys can fight all you want about asian vehicles but isn't calling tha S10 a piece of junk on Gbody forum kind of like calling your kid stupid or your mom ugly. The S10 is basically a Gbody. Those two vehicles have more in common than anything else.

Frame wise, yes. Drivetrain, no. I dont know why the hell GM thought it was acceptable to put the engine from a Cavalier into a truck. Those trucks are so slow, it can be unsafe sometimes. Its pretty bad when I would get stuck on the curb, backing into a driveway if I wasnt going fast enough.

As far as reliability, they probably are not the best but I dont think they are heaps of sh*t. My mom had one that had no problems besides the head gasket going at around 120k miles. This one guy I know has one that he uses as a work truck and it is one of the most beat up looking trucks that you will see, but it rarely has any problems. I believe the head gasket went at around 200k miles. He fixed that and the truck still runs great at around 260k miles. He still has the original engine and trans, he also does not take care of it at all.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
NY87SS said:
pokertramp said:
NY87SS said:
pokertramp said:
So I take it that your answer is the typical liberal one that is just a bunch of words yet in reality, means nothing.

Move on.

Typical liberal one?????
Now that is completely funny.
One its true, 2 I am no where near being a liberal.

Now for the S10.
Every maker makes bad cars. EVERYONE.
Now I have owned in the past 4 S series trucks, not one was returned to a dealer ever for any problem and logged over 100K on each one. I do not drive cars with over 100K on them when bought new.

But as I said before and will again.
HYPOCRITES most of you seem to be.
American workers make junk, American worker are lazy etc etc etc etc.
Now I again say HYPOCRITES because you are telling me you are not a American lazy assed worker getting paid well more than you need be, do sh*t work, sh*t quality, don't surf the net and post when you should be, but in fact you said ALL US workers.

Just sell your sh*t G bodies, get some older napanese cars and move to their countries since you are more than probably what you stereotyped as US workers.

I never said American workers make junk, just union run companies. My Japanese truck was built in New Smyrna Tennessee, not Japan. The UAW needs to have it's influence reduced, and hiring and firing decisions should not be able to be trumped by the union. GM should be able to decide to close a plant today, and two hours later give every single worker their pink slip with no recourse on the part of the employee. Do that, and you will have a better situation.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
itsnotanova said:

Only the front suspension and brakes are somewhat in common, as is the basic rear axle assembly. They do not share engines (save the 4.3) or transmissions, or interior parts, etc. Most of us change out the stock drivetrain anyways as it is junk in 98% of all G bodies ever made. The brakes on a G body are a known weak area as is the rear axle. Basically, if you build a G body, you end up keeping only the body and frame, but little else by the time you are done if you go all the way to remove 100% of the stock GM suck they come with. Even the front suspension is riddled with design faults that are not easily rectified, like the stock camber curve that is backwards, and the bump steer geometry. I am just being honest here. By knowing the truth, I can make decisions that make the most sense. Hopefully, I can share ideas that help others along the way.

BTW, I do buy new vehicles and keep them for several hundred thousand miles. I have owned my truck since new.

SV6 REGAL

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2006
Ont Canada
85GPLef41 said:
I just read a article on the Genesis and it beats the the Chrysler 300c in every aspect. You would need the SRT package to beat it in performance. They even offer some options as standard compared to the 300c. I really like the way the 300c looks and performs but.... when you got a car thats better priced and better optioned you have to consider it.Plus they have a good warranty. This car is built to compete with the Pontiac G8, BMW 5 series, Lexus and other .high $ dollars cars. I still consider it but in my opinion i NEED a G8 GXP. :lol:

To be fair to the 300 it is a older car and has been around for a while.

SV6 REGAL

Greasemonkey
Nov 19, 2006
Ont Canada
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
pokertramp said:
85 Cutlass Brougham said:
NY87SS said:
As far as fixing a problem with a car, US cars are much cheaper and easier to do. Foreign cars builders have not nor are they planning to have rebuilt parts available. Without those your stuck having to buy new parts. A starter for examples can be had for a little as $90 rebuilt, foreign new, well over $300. Our cars and there's share alot of the same design hampers such as front wheel drive, traverse motors and so on, not easy to work on theirs or ours.

You obviously have no experience with foreign cars. First off, rebuilt parts are available for all the major Japanese brands at any auto parts store. I replaced my original starter with a rebuilt one 2 years ago-after 270k miles. Did I mention those are pizza delivery miles and the truck is on and off all night long? The thing about Japanese cars is they do not fail all the time like a cheaply made domestic. I have known far too many cars used in my business to ever trust an American car. They don't last the 300k+ that a Japanese model will without an engine rebuild, or multiple transmissions, etc. Plus, they have constant electronics issues that a good Japanese model never does. I have never had a sensor failure in 315,000 miles. Try that with an S-10.

Funny you mention that. I used to have a 1995 S-10, brand new. After 1 week the ABS system went on it. I didn't have it for 4 days. The bill was around $800 parts and labor. It needed a new engine at $20,000 or so miles, the door never closed right, the bed was crooked, the third brake light fell off, the alarm from the factory which I paid $300 for didn't work.

I ended up taking it back to the dealership and told them to shove it up their *ss after the new motor was put in. They tried to charge me $600 IIRC for a clutch when they already had the motor out, the clutch was fine btw. I tried to drive it and if I went over 45mph it shook like a b*st*rd.

Needless to say, they tried to collect the rest of the money for it from me, around $8,000 and they threatened to sue me. I egged them on and told them if they did they would have one against them. never heard from them again,lol.

Well, I use the S-10 because it, along with the Cavalier, is one of the worst vehicles I have ever seen. Cheap feeling when new, their poor build quality really shines through when you start to put some miles on them. Curiously though, I will also criticize a Japanese model here, the iconic Honda Civic. They require too much maintenance to keep going for the long haul and have a tendency to blow head gaskets due to their block design. Plus, they are timing belt engines and the water pump is driven off the timing belt, making replacement a nuisance. I prefer Sentras with the GA series engines for this reason. They simply don't fail under poor maintenance, and have sand core blocks made of iron with solid decks, as well as timing chains with tensioners that don't require regular replacement. My all time list of the best cars would include older Toyota pickups with 4 cylinder engines, Nissan 4 cylinder D21 and D22 pickups, Nissan Sentras with the GA engine, and 1985 and older Diesel Mercedes Benz cars. (preference for manual transmissions on all of them) All of these cars are very robust and can hit the 500k mark without a rebuild. They are what new car manufacturers of today should aspire to build.

I agree on the cavalier begin a POS, poor build quailty,head gaskets,heater cores(sister had a 94) prone to rust (doors).I like my regal but a think back when I owned a civic of the same year the build quailty was better,paint was so much better(base clear).My dads worst truck was a 89 S-Jimmy(paint,starter,transmission,half shafts,cv boots,cpu,front diff)
My old Civic wagon was at 570,000km when I sold it(bought at 400,000 second owner) it has around 640,000 on it now orginal block(head had to replaced when i had it the bolts for the manifold all rotted away, was easier to replace the head)My 06 Sv6 was the worst car I have owned and lost the most money on in 2yrs it lost half of it value,gave up on it took a big lose and got rid of it bought a nice American made 2008 Accord and haven't had a problem yet.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Even if GM does improve it might be too late. I had a 1 owner 81 Delta 88, had all the bills since new. The 307 Olds v8 motor from that car lasted 475,000 km before the timing chain skipped. The motor had decent power and used almost no oil, would have easily made 500,000 km. Even the cruise worked on that car, the original owner only basically did regular normal maintenance items, nothing major. Our 75 Delta was similar, a very good car. The 350 Olds v8 lasted close to as many miles. Other than the th350 dying and distributor crapping out, very little went wrong with it. We parked it after the front caliper seized on, sold it for junk. Someone bought it and drove it for 5 or so years more. Our Chevies and Dodges were less reliable, our Fords were horendous, until we bought a couple of Taurus's. My 88 cutlass has had more problems then our earlier models. Any fwd 80's GM cars I owned were total sh*t. The only thing good was the reliable 2.8 v6 carbed motor.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
My last good GM product is my Cutlass, and even it has had it's share of problems. The TH-200C transmission went out every 60k miles, like clockwork. It used to break driver's side engine mounts every few months, and the engine needed 40 weight oil to keep the oil pressure up when it passed 100k. Did I mention it took 22 seconds to go 0-60? That was all with the V6. Now, with the 350 Chevy, it has been much better except that I have just killed TH-200 4R number two in about 40k miles. It still works, but the metal in the pan is telling me it won't work much longer. I have a manual transmission swap in the works as I like that better, but I find it sad that the only way this car is any good is if I replace every single mechanical part with some sort of upgrade. As it sits, it does not have a single original drivetrain part left in it, and what is left of the suspension is about to get replaced with aftermarket or swapped in parts to correct GM's bad suspension geometry and undersized brakes. Then again, it's a hot rod. I don't mind doing this in a car I am modifying. The sad thing is that modification is all it was ever really good for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor