Is it worth switching to the 36mm F body sway bar from stock 32mm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
I wonder about the same thing. When I put the rear sway bar on my El C it made a heck of a difference

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
If there's a difference to be 'felt' it would likely be a subjective opinion.
Most people would do the swap using different (newer or possibly better) bushings which could impact the results. Which made it better? The bar upsize or the different bushings?

As long as ride quality isn't impacted (which it isn't in this scenario), the bigger the bar the better. I don't know that I would spend $$$ for a 32mm-->36mm swap. But if it was a cheap -ish $ opportunity..... I'd do it.

• Agree
Reactions: 6 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
ROI. Always.

If you feel you NEED the bigger bar, then do it. But if the cash outlay is steep, I'd leave it alone. If you're redoing the whole front end with new stuff, though, now would be a great time to do it. The rear bar is usually the better bang for the buck, but as stated, all that's up to a point. But if you already have the bar, bushings are kind of cheap, so...

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Is an OE F41 bar actually 32mm/1.25"? I swore it was 7/8 for non F41 and 1 1/8 for F41.

I have a 34mm early z28 f body bar on my 2+2 and it does feel stiffer than the OE F41 bar for what its worth it's few pounds lighter.

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
G-Body of the Month
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I've gone from the 32mm( GN) front bar to the 36mm hollow( GTA) bar. I can't honestly say that there's a significant difference in handling or stability, However, the car does seem to take turns pretty flat. Of course, I was able to acquire the 36mm bar fairly inexpensively which prompted me to experiment with adding the larger bar. Otherwise I would've retained the 32mm bar, which is still a vast improvement over the stock non-F41 bar.

• Informative
Reactions: 4 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Is an OE F41 bar actually 32mm/1.25"? I swore it was 7/8 for non F41 and 1 1/8 for F41.

I have a 34mm early z28 f body bar on my 2+2 and it does feel stiffer than the OE F41 bar for what its worth it's few pounds lighter.
My 78 Malibu has the F41 with the front and rear sway bars. The front bar measures just a tick under 32mm with my digital caliper. Same diameter as my 87 Grand National.

Reactions: 1 user

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
The spring rate is likely indistinguishable between the two. However, there likely more gains in losing sprung mass working against the hollow bar, springs and shocks. The same idea would apply to mass reduction in the brakes, wheels and tires.

So, for that reason alone I would swap them.

Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
The hollow bar is SLIGHTLY better. Obviously if you had a non-F41 and then went to the big hollow tree trunk, then you'd really be able to determine the seat of the pants feel. However, stepping up from 32 to 36 is only 4mm!!! Or approximately a tad over 1/8" in diameter. Think about it. YES. It will likely be a tad better than the F41. NO. It's probably not worth the headache if you're not going to do everything else necessary to make a corner carver out of the car. Again, unless you ALREADY HAVE THE PARTS. Then I say put them on. What the heck?

F41 to the 36mm hollow is kinda like wearing a condom. Is she really going to notice the extra girth because it's a little bit bigger in diameter? Maybe if it's ribbed. :)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor