is this a good deal for a 7.5 rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

87chevyboy

Master Mechanic
Sep 1, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
full posi 7.5 4:10 gears $350 and how do you guys think it would do with my 305 that i have for now !! and my 700 r4 will it spin the 22 and make me go faster than 70

Only other rearend I can think of without mods is the 8.5 they put in some G body cars. You don't need that for a daily driving 305. If you have something with 4.10 gears your overall top speed will be reduced. Your low and mid range should be a lot better though.

heres what the guy posted

i got a 7.5 inch eaton posi unit with richmond 4:10s for sale or trade. will fit alot of different gms from the 70's all the way to 90's camaro and trans am.

CHRIS.O said:
Only other rearend I can think of without mods is the 8.5 they put in some G body cars. You don't need that for a daily driving 305. If you have something with 4.10 gears your overall top speed will be reduced. Your low and mid range should be a lot better though.

when im cruising on the freeway it seems like it wont go faster than 65 70 other times i tap the gas and it takes of like greyhound and the rear end i have right now is out of a v6 with 2:43 i think if even that will i feel the difference with 4:10 how will my gas mielage be??

Oh ok sounds like he just has the posi and gears itself not a full bolt in rear end. Is that right?

4.10 gear will allow your engine to reach higher RPM'S quicker. If you drive on the highway a lot you probably do not want 4.10's. Heck if you drive 55 a lot you probably do not want 4.10's. I have had them and trips around town and short side road trips were fine but there was no way I would try to do 70 on the highway with them and the 3 speed trans I had. Your gas mileage will probably go down. It sounds like maybe something is going on if sometimes it goes well and other times it doesnt.

alright here is a stupid question !!! how do i find out what my rear end is with out opening it up i know it cam out of a v6 85 monte carlo i dont know much about rear ends guys (execpt for the ones at the stripclub) but anyways is that a 7.5? does it have 2:43? can i switch out the gears or do i have to get a whole new differential?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor