is this a good deal for a 7.5 rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.
87chevyboy said:
alright here is a stupid question !!! how do i find out what my rear end is with out opening it up i know it cam out of a v6 85 monte carlo i dont know much about rear ends guys (execpt for the ones at the stripclub) but anyways is that a 7.5? does it have 2:43? can i switch out the gears or do i have to get a whole new differential?

you can switch out the gears and run yours in the posi unit... i got my posi unit from a guy and i put 4.10 gears in it thats was in my ss but the unit had 3.73s in it.. so now i have a set of 3.73 just chillen..

As far as to what ratio it has some people will tell ya the jack it up and spin the tire count the drive shaft method, never done it. I think you can get the ratio off the axle tube somewhere as well. Also I have never looked that up. I have always used RPO codes or just taken it apart to find out what I have. However below is a pic of how to identify which rear end you have, if it came out of a v6 monte I am sure it is a 7.5. The easiest way is to see if it has squared of blocks on the bottom or fangs like in the pics.

rears.jpg

CHRIS.O said:
As far as to what ratio it has some people will tell ya the jack it up and spin the tire count the drive shaft method, never done it. I think you can get the ratio off the axle tube somewhere as well. Also I have never looked that up. I have always used RPO codes or just taken it apart to find out what I have. However below is a pic of how to identify which rear end you have, if it came out of a v6 monte I am sure it is a 7.5. The easiest way is to see if it has squared of blocks on the bottom or fangs like in the pics.

rears.jpg

thx for the info bro so whats a carrier ??? some guy mentioned this to me that i need a carrier gears and posi unit

This is a carrier, it is also the posi. Have you ever heard someone say the term open carrier or posi carrier? Open is the one wheel peel crap. Posi of course supplies power to both drive tires. Also there are different carriers for different gear ratios and axle spline counts. Are you planning on buying that rear end or building one?

carrier.jpg

CHRIS.O said:
This is a carrier, it is also the posi. Have you ever heard someone say the term open carrier or posi carrier? Open is the one wheel peel crap. Posi of course supplies power to both drive tires. Also there are different carriers for different gear ratios and axle spline counts. Are you planning on buying that rear end or building one?

carrier.jpg

Bro you want to be my new best friend lol hahahha

well now that im learning i might aswell build my rear end that way i know whats really in there
i can turn wrenches but have never worked on a differential

Well building your rear end would be costly and needs some specialized tools. Honestly I would not mess with building one, I would buy one built and you could mess around with the one you have to see what it is all about. If you decided you have to build the rear you have and you go all new stuff which honestly I wouldn't buy used then your looking at about 3-500 for a posi carrier, 150-200 for ring and pinion, 100 bucks for an install kit, few extra bucks for fluids, rags, etc. Those are kind of a high end price on most the stuff but just trying to give ya an idea. As far as tools you would need something to press on the carrier bearings, depth micrometer, good torque wrench, impact gun. Nothing too crazy but a rear end is something that should be left to those that know what they are doing. If you search youtube you can find a bunch of videos of how to's and what all is involved.

i just bought a 7.5 posi with 410 gears and the guy threw in a set of 373 gears for 300 bucks but he is a buddy of mine

jcbannis said:
i just bought a 7.5 posi with 410 gears and the guy threw in a set of 373 gears for 300 bucks but he is a buddy of mine
man luck you i need everything theres a dude here in az that has a posi carrier for 200 and gears for 300 he will put them in i think i just might do that then

300 is high for a set of gears. Is he including new bearings and everything that is included in an install kit? I would check out his credentials as far as being able to set it up right. You could pay 500 and end up having a worn out posi unit and weird wearing gears installed. You would be doing it all again a year later if it turned out to be shitty parts. Not a bad idea just do some research about the parts hes going to use. Or you could add a few hundred more to that and look around for an 8.5, which is the last rear end you will ever need unless you end up building an 800hp SC big block haha.

if you buy that rear end from the guy on craigslist, make sure its the correct width since in the add he gave such a wide range of years..."GM from the 70's to a 90 camaro." Not all rears are the same width. Also, if you ever go and look at a complete rear, bring some grease paint so you can check the mesh of the gears..it will tell you if the rear was set up correctly or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor