Is this fixable? How Would I Go Ab fixing it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highwood Malibu

Greasemonkey
Jul 14, 2011
Calgary Alberta Canada
Cut out bad rust then find a guy who does good work with fiberglass.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
Highwood Malibu said:

Don't do that! Fiberglass will crack and split from normal driving and you'll be back to square one. I tried that on my Cutlass' roof and that's what happened. Cut out as much of the rust as you can, and weld in new sheetmetal, or maybe an entire roof from a donor car.

67rstbkt

G-Body Guru
Sep 30, 2010
Reno, Nevada
Qdub24 said:
Highwood Malibu said:

Don't do that! Fiberglass will crack and split from normal driving and you'll be back to square one. I tried that on my Cutlass' roof and that's what happened. Cut out as much of the rust as you can, and weld in new sheetmetal, or maybe an entire roof from a donor car.

X2 on this, DO NOT Fiberglass this if you want to fix the car correctly. The only way to deal with this is to cut out the rusted portions and replace with good metal; either by fabricating metal patches or obtaining replacement metal from a donor vehicle.

axisg

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 17, 2007
YYZ
that amount of rust makes it a parts car to me. Find a car with a better body and part this one out.

Grandprixpaul

Master Mechanic
Mar 27, 2011
Commerce township , mi
Personally i would find a new body. Or if your good at welding or know someone who is get a doner car, could go with t-tops now if you can find one and measure and dozen times and cut once. Alot of work though probally easyer to swap into new body.

Qdub24

Royal Smart Person
Sep 6, 2006
Columbus, GA
67rstbkt said:
Qdub24 said:
Highwood Malibu said:

X2 on this, DO NOT Fiberglass this if you want to fix the car correctly. The only way to deal with this is to cut out the rusted portions and replace with good metal; either by fabricating metal patches or obtaining replacement metal from a donor vehicle.

It's fixable, but depends on how much you're willing to spend. My car was just as bad if not worse:

26890260009_large.jpg

26890260010_large.jpg

26890260011_large.jpg

26890260012_large.jpg

26890260013_large.jpg

26890260029_large.jpg

26890260030_large.jpg

26890260031_large.jpg

26890260032_large.jpg

26890260033_large.jpg

I decided to keep mine because it was the only one I had ever saw with a factory sunroof/astroroof. Definitely would've been cheaper to just buy another one though.

badlad

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 28, 2012
Knoxville, TN
Damn rust curse you, them rot tops are nothing but a rot top waiting to happen. I got rid of mine before it even had a chance to start. But the way it looks, I would start getting ready for alot of spot welding, cut the rusted spots out with a cut off tool air or electric grinder with a fairly thin wheel, try to keep it in squared up, gonna need a dremal for the small sh*t. And 1/4 glass removed, headliner and most the interior while you do this. Gonna have to have some donor metal and cut it or buy some of the same gauge, and shape it to fit. So like stated before it's ****ed! But can be fixed practice on whats there if no go cut the top off another and use it. Oh and I would never use fiberglass on bare metal it heats up more than regular body fillers which = sweat = rust.

Nov 4, 2012
Anything is fixable, where there's a will, there's a way. But the effort to fix that car would be tremendous. If it were my car, it'd be parts.

carmangary

G-Body Guru
Oct 13, 2009
Unless the chassis, engine, and/or interior is in awesome shape I would walk away very fast from that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor