Is this harmonic balancer cover with timing marks fitted correctly on my 305 8" balancer ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Anybody familiar with these ?

No mark on this cover lines up with the timing mark on the balancer...
Screenshot_20220209-060659_Photos.jpg

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
That is a 3 groove crank gear are you going to advance the cam timing? You have it set to stock timing now.

While the gears are timed TDC #1. Without the gasket on it place the timing chain cover on so the two pins hold it slide the new balancer on so it is on the keyway and mark where the timing mark is on the cover with a sharpie, That way you know if the pointer you install is correct.
No im going to keep it stock.

I don't have the new pointer in the mail just yet.

Also waiting on timing tape to come in next Tuesday.

I bought the 6.75" balancer instead of an 8"... 8" balancers were used on 350 in trucks, 6.75" was used on cars.
20220211_195426.jpg

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Balancer size is of no consequence for a stock motor. I've run 6" on a 327 and 383 without issue. The only balancer fandango that throws a monkey wrench in the works is putting an external balanced one on anything other a short rod 383 or 400.

The way to fix the threads is at the machine shop. Perhaps you'll luck out with a tap as described above by ELCAM, but I've never had any success with that. There is an excellent chance that the damaged threads are only located on the outer 1/2-3/4" though. If that's the case, then buy an aftermarket crank bolt that is longer. If you have to cut it down, then so be it. And remeber, never turn the engine over by that bolt with either the rockers adjusted or spark plugs installed.

I always check the new balancer for amount of interference as well. If it's more than.0015, then I bust out the little dinglebrerry hones and get it to .001-.0015".

Reactions: 1 users

Tynan918

Royal Smart Person
Aug 2, 2021
Balancer size is of no consequence for a stock motor. I've run 6" on a 327 and 383 without issue. The only balancer fandango that throws a monkey wrench in the works is putting an external balanced one on anything other a short rod 383 or 400.

The way to fix the threads is at the machine shop. Perhaps you'll luck out with a tap as described above by ELCAM, but I've never had any success with that. There is an excellent chance that the damaged threads are only located on the outer 1/2-3/4" though. If that's the case, then buy an aftermarket crank bolt that is longer. If you have to cut it down, then so be it. And remeber, never turn the engine over by that bolt with either the rockers adjusted or spark plugs installed.

I always check the new balancer for amount of interference as well. If it's more than.0015, then I bust out the little dinglebrerry hones and get it to .001-.0015".
Definitely can't afford a machine shop...tapping it is my only option and I've had success tapping before...hopefully I'll luck out..

Today I'll sanding off the gasket material on the timing chain cover gasket area and fitting the timing cover and balancer...hopefully installing them today as well

scoti

Royal Smart Person
Sep 5, 2019
Texas
The correct bolt needs to be used here as well. It must be GRADE-8 or better. Ideally, you need to purchase a spec 'balancer bolt' so you know it's for that task & the correct grade/strength.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor