Is this quote too high?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan
I got a quote for a 2 1/4” true dual exhaust, manifolds back, for my 85 Monte SS. Flowmaster 40 series mufflers with new crossmember and trans mount $1275 out the door. They make the pipes in house so I’m assuming it’s aluminized steel, will clarify tomorrow. I’ve never paid for an exhaust so not sure what is fair. I’m in Michigan. Haven’t received a call back from the other 2 muffler shops I tried to get quotes from. Any feedback on pricing is appreciated.

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
I got a quote for a 2 1/4” true dual exhaust, manifolds back, for my 85 Monte SS. Flowmaster 40 series mufflers with new crossmember and trans mount $1275 out the door. They make the pipes in house so I’m assuming it’s aluminized steel, will clarify tomorrow. I’ve never paid for an exhaust so not sure what is fair. I’m in Michigan. Haven’t received a call back from the other 2 muffler shops I tried to get quotes from. Any feedback on pricing is appreciated.
Well, you've got 3 variables here:

1) is it mandrel bent?

2) is it aluminized or stainless?

3) what kind of warranty are you getting? (And who made crossmember with what warranty?)

Technically a 4th variable would be local pricing, cities cost more than rural areas, not to mention regional differences. I'd also wonder what that new crossmember is or who made it.

If you're getting a quality crossmember made by a retail outfit that's probably 200 wholesale. Your pair of series 40s are likely 120 wholesale for the pair. Misc mounts and hangers count it $30. Then you're into pipe costs and labor.

To me it depends on the answers to the variables. If it was crimp style non-mandrel aluminized I'd probably pass. I'd also ask how much cheaper it is if you supply the crossmember and shop around to find a brand you're confident in at a price you like.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan

1) is it mandrel bent?

3) what kind of warranty are you getting? (And who made crossmember with what warranty?)

Technically a 4th variable would be local pricing, cities cost more than rural areas, not to mention regional differences. I'd also wonder what that new crossmember is or who made it.

If you're getting a quality crossmember made by a retail outfit that's probably 200 wholesale. Your pair of series 40s are likely 120 wholesale for the pair. Misc mounts and hangers count it $30. Then you're into pipe costs and labor.

To me it depends on the answers to the variables. If it was crimp style non-mandrel aluminized I'd probably pass. I'd also ask how much cheaper it is if you supply the crossmember and shop around to find a brand you're confident in at a price you like.
Thanks for the quick response. Not sure on mandrel vs crimped or the metal or the warranty. All good things to ask that I hadn’t considered so thanks for that. I believe the crossmember is G Force Performance but will have to clarify that as well. I’m just not savvy at all when it come to exhaust so I appreciate your feedback. Thank you.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
2 1/4" aint worth 1200$. if you cant find a decent shop that wont molest your wallet to do it do it yourself. get a cheap jegs exhaust kit and hang and clamp it in your driveway. expect to do some cutting.

Reactions: 1 user

Streetbu

Know it all, that doesn't
Supporting Member
May 22, 2011
Central NY
Yes, WAY too high. My stainless steel system was custom made, and tig'd together, was only slightly more.

Reactions: 1 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Yes, WAY too high. My stainless steel system was custom made, and tig'd together, was only slightly more.

The cross member adds a lot to the cost here.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

ck80

Supporting Member
Feb 18, 2014
The cross member adds a lot to the cost here.
My guess is the shop added around $400-500 to cover the crossmember, markup, and labor to swap the crossmember and trans mount depending on local labor rates

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Check out Jegs for their 2.5" stainless kit & Jegster double hump crossmember. Pypes has stainless down pipes for manifolds. Only other expense might be labor for a shop to install if you can't do it at home. Even if you'd swap out the manifolds for the Jegs headers listed to go with the exhaust kit it'll still be cheaper.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
A good stainless system thats mandrel bends and crossmember alone will probably be $700-$900. I don’t use anything but stainless, since they rot from the inside. The last non stainless I had only lasted 3 years on a daily driver.

Reactions: 1 user

smartin3

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 12, 2020
Michigan

1) is it mandrel bent?

1. Not mandrel bent. TheStretch bend
2. Aluminized lead pipes, the rest is stainless steel
3. 1-year warranty
4. G-force performance crossmember. Not sure on the warranty but made in USA.

Also, this is without cats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor