Not open for further replies.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
The added noise isn't going to be "good" noise; all the little tiny belt squeaks, compressors and pumps will be more pronounced.

The hood will be fairly warm too if you touch it after driving. It's one of those things that you don't notice until you do it.

Probably the best thing to do would be to get rid of the original carcinogenic mess and replace it with some sort of aluminum-faced type insulation. Bottom line, GM put it there for a reason.

Last edited:

G_Body_Enthusiast

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Feb 28, 2005
Louisville, kentucky
I would replace it with something like Dynamat. Engines get hot and I'm sure any heat going straight to the sheet metal isn't going to help the longevity of the paint. It will help keep things quiet and keep the hood cooler, use Dynamat or something like it. I never liked the original insulation but I still have mine and plan on replacing it and using as much insulation through out my car as possible. I prefer the inside of my car to be quiet.

kustomkyle

G-Body Guru
Apr 14, 2008
Hmmm... I'm also thinking that it keeps you from baking the paint off your hood...

Not quite so much, perhaps over time it could cause the paint to degrade, especially if it's not the greatest of quality. It usually gets hot, but not THAT hot. If it does, that usually means you have some issues, like your carburetor is on fire.

It would be sort of like a dash pad. Someone who uses a sun-shield during the day will generally have a nice dash for a very long time. Someone who doesn't will first notice fading, then dryness, then cracking, all prematurely.

Many cars didn't have hood insulation until the 70's, but that's also where you'll notice a "warm" hood if you go to open one after the car in question has been driven. That's also the period when cars got quieter, and pollution pumps etc. were added.

mr evil

Aug 4, 2009
Sooke, BC, Canada
I think it's one of those items that tended to degrade very quickly and thus often times was just taken out....or It mostly fell out on it's own after a number of years as the OP is experiencing. I have seen remnants of it hanging from hoods in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor